The Jake Peetz Offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Founding Member

So leading up to and after we hired Jake Peetz I did a lot of reading on him. He was very much a student more of Sean McVay than Joe Brady in terms of offensive sets and style. He even spoke of that and McVay always favors a strong ground game from dynamic sets that are multiple. Same formation but it can be run or pass.

McVay has always loved his tight ends (he featured 12 personnel more heavily last year with the Rams) and when Peetz got here there was noise he was really troubled by the fact we were so thin at tight end. McVay will adapt his offense based on his personnel which is what all great coaches do, but very few are willing to get outside their comfort zone (Les Miles, Jimbo Fisher, etc).

It's become pretty clear O has wanted Peetz to run Joe Brady stuff from 2019, but Peetz is his own coach and has his own identity. Suddenly we have gone from empty sets to using sometimes two tight ends, replacing a wide receiver in Bech trying to block as a tight end with an actual tight end in Jack Mashburn and even occasionally max protecting.

We are witnessing Jake Peetz adapt to what he has on hand instead of just putting out 5 guys who can catch in pass patterns with an empty set and asking your 5 OL to block every pressure the defense brings with just themselves.

It hurts play action. It limits your offensive linemen to being on their heels instead of pushing forward, and inhibits their physicality. The line isn't trapping or pulling using movement to their advantage either, they're trying to win one on one straight up battles much more often in both run and pass sets.

We're actually now able to run the ball effectively because of the blocking of Jack Mashburn and the pulling trap game we've identified. We are using Jack's better blocking ability but also putting him on the line much more often. The line is moving forward and moving around to create not only better angles but also momentum into their blocks.

McVay runs very few formations, but he has a wide variety of plays within them. He also leans on play action to aid his pass protection as much as any coach in the NFL. We're running less formations, and looking to put Max in better protection because they have to respect our run game now.

There is a clear commitment to this offense.

This is an offense with an identity.

Jake Peetz's offense.

This is certainly due to the growth of a playcaller and his players certainly throughout the season, but I firmly believe we're finally seeing what Jake Peetz wanted to run from the start.

And it reminds me more of Sean McVay than Joe Brady. That's not a bad thing either!

Defense.

I don't know if Daronte doesn't blitz much because of the limitations of our personnel and the myriad communication breakdowns we have had before or if it's O wanting his 4-3 to get pressure with his line. It would be fascinating to find out how much both coordinators had in terms of freedom to run their schemes. Either way, this was a great win and it shows you that we should never have lost to less talented teams. LSU has been short handed in both games let's not forget.

Florida has been the better coached team and arguably perhaps the more talented team two years in a row and yet lost both games. Because LSU is that talented. Just field a motivated and fundamentally sound LSU team every single week running basic schemes and you should beat every team not named Bama and Georgia most every Saturday.

It was nice to finally see Jake Peetz run his offense and to see Ty Davis-Price show the world his talents. Inspired effort today by the Tigers, it's always a great day to beat Florida.

kluke, geaux9, tzanghi and 6 others like this.
  2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Only thing I will add is no way Peetz runs what he ran today without O's blessing. In O's defense he has been harping over and over every presser that we need to run the ball. The run scheme was better last week and was great today. Give it to Peetz that he saw we could keep running and he was right. He found a weakness and exploited the hell out of it. This game didn't save O's job but I gaurantee you he got on the offensive staff to do what you need to do to give me a running game.

3. JaxTigFan

JaxTigFan Founding Member

Any chance Ensminger had a say in swaying O?

It saved his job for this week.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  4. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Hate to tell you I'm not sure O had any real say in it. Word was well before the game took place he was told he's out. It's just a matter of when it is announced.

Smartest move by O is to pull a Tyrone Willingham at Washington where Woodward fired him but he stayed on the whole year for his team. That would be the best PR that O could do to rehab himself publicly and try to keep this recruiting class together for LSU. If he stays professional that would do him worlds of good in the coaching community. If he fights it and tries to sabotage anything then he'll become toxic and maybe hard to employ anywhere big.

He's also got his kids to consider. Their future in coaching could be greatly impacted by his behavior.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    TigerSnarl, LSU_4_LIFE and shane0911 like this.
  5. BornOnTheBayou

BornOnTheBayou 2022 Masters Pick 'Em Champion

I believe O when he says it's not about him, it's about the team. If he's released, I don't know that he's going to get a HC job again. He should be in good enough financial shape to live a comfortable lifestyle if he's done coaching.

LSU_4_LIFE, TCUTiger and Brian like this.
  6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

All I know is Peetz doesnt get all the credit just as Brady shouldn't have gotten all the credit in 2019. Anyone who thinks only the OC designs the weekly gameplan alone would be wrong. Peetz called the plays today other than a handful of plays he called a great game. O wasn't wearing a headset so he was happy with what came out of the coaches basic gameplan and let Peetz call the plays. I saw some creative blocking schemes and some very good push from our O Line today. Give credit to Jack Mashburn too.

7. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

FU/Grantham refusing to answer that counter play is what made the run so successful. Now that there is tape on the various plays coming out of that set, DCs will adjust. Hope Peetz has got more up his sleeve.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Well its there and if you decide to stop it, Besh should be free over the middle right?

kcal likes this.
  9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

How about a scenario where O is replaced but kept on as a recruiter and DL consultant?

TCUTiger and tzanghi like this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Not if he is the one blocking. Also, the guys that were supposed to be blocked in the orig set are running free in backfield in MJs face on each of those plays. That kind of timing requires JFB QBing.

Also, its Bech. :/

LSUpride123 likes this.