The "I've seen Star Wars Thread"

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUpride123, Dec 19, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Mind lock. How would she be able to tap into those powers so easily without some prior training? She soundly beat Ren.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I don't know. Poor design I am thinking. I hope not, but they basically portrayed her as never leaving Jakku

3. LaSalleAve

They trained younglings from an early age. I'm thinking she was left there because Max Von Sydow's character was there and was able to keep an eye on her, but the idea was to keep her from Snoke. He is the part of the story that makes little sense to me. Who is he? What is he?

How great was Oscar Issac though. I liked his character and I liked Finn too.

Did you hear Obi Wan say "Rey" in her vision?

4. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

For the Kylo vs Rey fight, you have to remember that he had been shot in the leg once and had also taken a hit on his shoulder from Finn. He wasn't at 100%. An uninjured Kylo would have soundly beat both of them.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I didn't feel that way. I felt as if they portrayed Rey's power as superior to Ren's.

6. TBTrumpet

TBTrumpet Founding Member

We'll just have to wait and see what happens in Ep 8.

Don't know about you but I am super excited! Star Wars is back!

LaSalleAve likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

That's a good point, but I still feel they tried to emphasize Rey's power is greater, especially since she was able to summon the lightsaber. I absolutely loved how Ren would hit himself where he was shot by Chewie during the fight.

I like Kylo Ren man, I liked his outfit, I liked his voice, I liked that he wasn't afraid to take his helmet off, and you could tell that he is a beast that hasn't even come close to reaching his full potential. But at the same time neither is Rey, which is why I feel that she has had force training earlier in life, and the touching the lightsaber brought opened up part of her locked mind.

TBTrumpet likes this.
  8. LaSalleAve

By the way, Rey knew what the Jedi temple looked like, Ren saw it when he was in her head. How would she know that if she was on Jakku all her life?

9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Remember she had that vision when she touched the saber. That was before Ren got her.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I loved it too, @LaSalleAve . The only minor criticism I had was the beginning was too much like 'A New Hope'. I was hoping for something a little more original, but it didn't take away enough for me not to like the movie. As for Rey, I thought her and Ben/Ren were bro and sis at first, given the way she and Leia embraced as basically strangers. But when that was ruled out, I also started thinking Luke was her father, especially how the last scene played out. My son is big into the EU, and while I know the EU is not canon, he pointed out the Luke never had a daughter. I also agree with your theory of Rey having some type of force training since the title of the movie 'The Force Awakening'. Not sure about the mind lock thing, but it would certainly be in character if it was, given how closely this movie sort of mirrors the original trilogy.

It does majorly suck that VIII won't be out for another 1.5 years. We'll just have to live with this one for now. I do plan on seeing it again. If you can see it in an IMAX 3D theater, I highly recommend it. It's worth the extra cash.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015