The Influx of Crazies on TF & the logic behind allowing it

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUGradin99, Oct 11, 2009.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

All I want to know is can we ban people who post threads about back boobs?

2. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I'm coming to get cha Bubba...........oh wait..you are "from parts unknown." Now how am I gonna find that? RIVAL REB....:thumb:

3. col reb

col reb Founding Member

THE RULING ON THE FIELD STANDS................unless you're Bama or Fla.:wink:

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They just have to have the right mindset and kind of a hard shell. Nobody wants to be bashed and some folks around here just bash rivals mercilessly. Even Deceks is careful what he says and to who . . . and he has the protection of the buoy.

Most "Premium" forums are strictly for home fans only. I think this one should be for all contributors and rivals are always welcome. People like USCVball and Bayoutiger were once contributors who tired of the rival-bashing. I think they might also find refuge in a contributors forum as a way to talk football with the most serious of us without taking excess guff from the peanut gallery. SabanFan will still insult them, of course, but that's become a rite of passage around here. You aren't a TF veteran until you bear the scars.

Contributors have dropped off, now that everybody can access all forums, have avatars, give reputation, and see who gives it. There are very few perks left for contributors anymore. An All-Contributors forum could be an important one.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

How about an exclusive all non-contributors forum for them to have access to. They can go all out there and have a blast. And we can keep the main forum to ourselves. :D

There has been good discussion here but the simple fact of the matter is:

The Tiger's Den is the face of Tiger Forums!

That is how this place is judged by visitors. It is where we attract new members. The tone of that forum will always determine the type of new members we attract.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I don't think we've had serious issues with censoring sunshine pumpers or gloom-and-doomers either. To me, the recent problem is not about the fans being upset, it's about the vitriol, the invectives, the vulgarities, and the insults. When a thread goes over the line from complaints to inflammatory rhetoric, then moving them to "bitch and rant" seems justified. It just might make people keep it down a notch to keep the thread on the main board. The criteria should not be the subject, but the civility of the discussion.

If they can't keep it civil, then it gets moved. That's far less censorship than deleting them. Brett may have to set some clear lines for mods to follow. There was a time that "moron" and "idiot" were insults that would get a post deleted. Now, it's like the SEC officials calling holding--they can call it on every play. If we start deleting every moron and idiot post that happens now . . . we're going to need a lot more moderators.

The other issue is new guys who have been here just a few days trying to take over the board with multiple inflammatory threads and raising the level of rhetoric to fighting words and bashing respected long-term members who don't deserve it. It ends up with many of our most serious members, often contributors, having to leave the board for a while because they have no interest in the TD-like atmosphere. The people that still give this site hits in the off-season need to be respected in our efforts to accommodate the angry new guys who are here for another week.

I like the idea of limiting the number of posts that members of less than 1 month can make in a day. Perhaps even letting new members make no posts at all in the first 24 hours. Let them lurk a bit and get a feel for the forum before jumping in with full Tiger Droppings mosh-pit style.

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

1 person likes this.
  8. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

the only problem I see with that red is a poster not liking a thread topic taking itin that directionon purpose just to have it moved out of the den...now that might be giving them more credit then they deserve but it could happen....most of the td like people will always be td posters and we don't need to constantly deal with them juust give them their own den that the mods and brett can confine them to most of them argue with themselves so much they may never know the difference

9. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Another method for toning down posters might be to combine threads when they pop up. After Sat nite there were multiple Miles and Crowton bashing threads. Comboing those makes the poster go hunt and peck and do some investigative work to find their and others posts in one long thread. Not sure if it will work but it sounded good when it ran through my mind. :grin:

10. DRC

DRC TigerNator

I see this as an easy moderation practice that can seriously clean up the Den. Like I posted earlier, there are numerous threads that essentially discuss the exact same thing. It really makes the forum look out of control and gives the crazies multiple topics to post the exact same repetitive diatribe.

I also think post limiting for new members is a great idea with some kind of minimal waiting period.