The Cost of Baseballs

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Bengal B, May 24, 2017.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Before each game the umps have to rub each ball with a special mud from the Delaware River.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

And yet your only contribution to the tourney was bitching about commercials. Cmon man, you've shown that you are part of your own problem. Ya gotta stop holding folks hostage for your entertainment.

Yunno what you should do? You should load up the station wagon with ole gal and head on down to balmy baton rouge and hit yourselves some regionals. Report in on the activities. Baseball, not the wife.

While at the game, mosey on up to the concession stand and be sure to get yourself a cool cup of get the fuck on with your life. And a cup for the Mrs. too! Who knows, ya might find yourself at an orgy or something. And if you do, tell okie we said hey.

3. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Some of that is defrayed by equipment contracts.

I'm going to likely be off on my dates here by a year or two. I recall an article about four or five years ago that was discussing equipment contracts. The article was written a couple of years after LSU switched to Wilson from Eason. I recall part of that deal was 25-30 cases of baseballs (which I'm sure doesn't begin to cover a season.) I suspect there's a price break involved as well when schools purchase more. I remember there was a clause in the contract about which bats the team was allowed to use so I suspect the same is in place for the baseballs.

The baseballs was one of the things that caught my eye in the article. It covered a half of a dozen or so teams from the conference, but LSU was the only one I recall having baseballs included.

LSUTiga likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was mostly thinking about high schools and Little Leaguers where the cost might be prohibitable. Obviously they can't afford as many balls as it takes to always have a clean, scuff free ball in the game at all times. If I was a batter the last thing I want is for the pitcher to be throwing a pre scuffed ball

TerryP likes this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

But they already do. I saw a special once where the teams have guys that prep the balls before games. They scuff em (not like with edges to make the pitcher have an advantage). But just to put a little wear on them.

6. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

Considering the work it takes to make a baseball, I wonder how those cheap baseballs are made...

tirk, 65Grad and LSUTiga like this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village