The College Football Playoffs discussion

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 25, 2017.

1. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

I’ll take a top 6 with 2 teams having a bye.

Rouxleaux likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

You shouldn't let your hatred of the gumps affect what could be good for LSU in the long run. If we wouldn't have lost to Moo U we would be in the conference championship game and even with a win might get left out of the playoffs but would be a lock for an 8 team scenario.

3. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

Agreed got to let the regular season mean something.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

majority of those teams have already lost to another team on the list.
    Clemson/Miami one will have a loss to other this weekend.
    Georgia loss to Auburn
    Bama loss to Auburn
    Ohio St/Wisconsin loser will have a loss to the other
    Ohio St already has a loss to Oklahoma

so half your playoffs will be rematches from regular season.

no thank you.

nah, Auburn still goes this year due to tiebreaker rules.

Conf record (3 way tie)
    head to head (3 way tie)
    Division record (3 way tie)
    Cross division record (3 way tie)
    Conference record of cross division opponents:
    Auburn: 11-5
    LSU: 3-13
    Bama: 1-15

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't like for 2 teams to get a break while the other 4 have to play. Gives them too much of an advantage.

6. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

If you get the first 2 seeds it seems like you deserve the advantage. Other wise make it an 8 team playoff. 4 isn’t enough imo.

ParadiseiNC and CaryLab like this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

6 would be better than 4 but not as good as 8. 8 is enough.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I think like you said power 5 conference winners and 3 wildcard. That takes care of stronger conference having multiple team that deserve. And outside teams like Notre Dame if good enough.

I don't think your conference champion number of losses should matter. You win your conference you go.

And I hate to say it but Alabama deserves it just as much as any of the other 1 loss teams in the 4 team scenario if it breaks that way..

If Ohio St. beats Wisconsin then even though they have 2 losses just like auburn they would be in no matter what.

Wisconsin deserves in if and only if they win their conference in the 4 team scenario.

I just believe there will be 8 teams in most years that deserve a shot. An early loss in the year or a 1st loss against a good team should not eliminate.

Now in the BCS era us playing Bama second time should never of happened. No matter what. It rewards the team beaten and didn't play in conference championship. That is a whole other can of worms that hypocrite saban used to his advantage..

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

why do people so desperately want to water down the best sport on the planet?

it used to be if you wanted a natty, you’d better go undefeated (most years). Every single game was do or die got to win it.

then we added extra teams, so now a loss was no longer catastrophic, and was now considered no big deal. Got smoked by your rival? no problem. we’ll give you another chance.

increase to 8 teams. half of whom will have at least 2 losses most years. and in a lot years at least one of those two losses will be to other playoff teams.

if that’s what you want out of football, start watching on Sundays.

didit likes this.
  10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Shit happens in football. A loss could be because a key player is hurt. LSU had 2 losses in 2007. In 2001 the team gelled after a rocky start and by the end of the season was as good as any an college football. I would have loved to see LSU vs Miami, the only team at that stage of the season who was the equal or better than the Tigers. LSU was no worse than one of the two best teams. In an 8 team playoff would have been in as SEC champs. And could well have won it all. If they had they would have proven themselves to be the best team.

CalcoTiger likes this.