The Candidate (Coaching List to Replace O)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Oct 9, 2021.

1. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Thanks Brian, good post. Lot of good information and analysis as usual. I was more impressed with Franklin at Vandy than I have been at PnSt.
    At this point my #1 is Fickel and then Napier/Tucker tied for second. I like Aranda and would be OK with him - I'm just not convinced he has the personality to deal with our shit when it gets rough. And at some point it will. I'm probably underestimating him but that's what I feel in my gut. I think you have a good point about Fickell being drawn back to the mid-west with the right offer. I don't want to do this again in two years.

The more I've learned about Napier and Tucker the more I like each of them. The fact that Saban hired Tucker 3 times says a lot to me. I like the Tuckers NFL experience, including being interim head coach of Jacksonville. So at this point Tucker is my first choice and then Napier. As I've said in other threads I don't think the money men will want to top Jimbo's aggie contract, I think Aranda will decide life and success are easier where he is, and I just don't see Kiffin as Scott's kind of guy.

Hou-duco, Pjoe and Winston1 like this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

A lot of coaches Saban has hired haven’t worked as HC. Not exactly an indicator of success.

3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Correct. But it does say Saban believes they could work in his system and contribute to his success. Doesn't mean that he is a slam dunk hire for HC, but it's a positive resume item.

TigerSnarl likes this.
  4. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I think Howard follows his fathers footsteps and plays QB for LSU. I don’t think you guys put enough stock in the fact a lot of these homegrown kids and kids from other places (like here in Texas) DREAM of playing for LSU, not just Ed Orgeron.

Yes, kids will flip, just like they have on Ed O many times in the past. But, unless Bama comes calling, most stay here. Even then, Bama can’t take them all. If they do, Bama can’t play them all and the new coach can poach via the portal the kids that Bama processes or that are not seeing playing time.

Don’t be shocked to see kids flip, but don’t be shocked to see kids who wanted to play for LSU all along that didn’t originally commit here, transfer back once the new coaches are in place. It goes both ways.

The sky isn’t falling. Not yet anyway.

Winston1 and shane0911 like this.
  5. Pjoe

Pjoe Formally Known as $TigerFan$

I'm with @kluke on this one, Tucker 1st Napier 2nd. The rape stuff will will hurt Franklin as @Brian has said especially with two schools fighting this under his leadership. Why not give Tucker an opportunity to show what he has, most of the coaches we had in the past did not blossom until they arrived, which says a lot about LSU. You can be successful here if you have the character and skills to do so and it appears Tucker and Billy has them.

kluke likes this.
  6. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

While Tucker is not my #1 choice, I'd fine with him as well. I think the remainder of his games will tell a bigger story. Will be fun to watch with him shortlisted.

Pjoe likes this.
  7. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Agree just hoping it not a mass exodus of players and recruits.

lsu-i-like and TCUTiger like this.
  8. Hou-duco

Hou-duco Founding Member

One thing I wonder about Tucker is, what is his dream job? He left Colorado high and dry after 1 season. If he came to LSU after a 2 yr stop at Michigan St.. What job would entice him to leave LSU? Granted he got a big pay jump from Colorado to Michigan St., and would likewise get another one coming here. He grew up in Cleveland, would HC of Ohio St. the job which he would jump at? That may not be such a bad thing as it doesn’t look like Ryan Day isn’t going anywhere any time soon. And if Tucker comes here stays 5 years and wins a natty then decides to leave, well then “thank you for your service”. Just maybe that should be LSU’s new model. Bring in a new coach, win a natty let him jump or kick him to the curb after 5-7 years before he becomes complacent. Other than letting Miles stay here too long we pretty much have been doing this.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    TCUTiger, shane0911 and kluke like this.
  9. CaryLab

CaryLab Founding Member

Hopefully the money men don’t put it together for Jimbo. Don’t want him!

10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I don't see this as an incredibly tough thing to do. The talent is here.