The Candidate (Coaching List to Replace O)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Brian, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Brian

Brian Founding Member

He was an analys then receivers coach for Nick. Think he left Saban's staff when he didn't get the OC gig. Dabo made him OC after he took over at Clemson at age 29. Fired him after two years which is when he went to work for Nick.

Napier has notebooks upon notebooks of all the things he does everyday. Learned it from Saban. Aranda did something similar to help retain info. Napier did it so he can access any conversation he's had years later with accuracy or recall things he's forgotten. A Saban tip. He's an intriguing candidate for sure but that's a huge step up and he's just not a Woodward splash hire.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

See this is what I don't understand about it all. Did anyone know the name Nick Saban when we hired him away from Mich St other than we had just whooped their and his ass in bowl game in Shreveport a year or so prior?

Why does it HAVE to be a "Name"? Nick excelled because of LSU and not the other way around. Find a fundamentally sound coach and they will succeed here. Why does the list have to be so small?

3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I'm 100% on board with you here, Shane. We know Scott through and through is a politician though. He likes big names.

Lincoln Riley isn't on my list cause of his name but his resume given his limitations. He's done better at OU than Day at tOSU to me. But of all the guys I'm so high on Fickell and he's trendy now but I've liked him for about three to four years now. Matt Campbell is really fascinating to me in the way Saban was at MSU. Both at the second school in their states, both coach them up, etc

LSU_4_LIFE, rockwallfan and shane0911 like this.
  4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Interesting parallel. I remembered Saban from MSU when we hired him from playing us in the Indy Bowl a couple of years earlier. I really didn't much about him though; hell, I thought he was Lou Saban's son. Know less about Campbell, but being able to win as the second school in Iowa says a lot IMO.

Brian likes this.
  5. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Bobby Petrino

6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

We will throw in a motorcycle and a hot coed to sweeten the pot.

Richdog and 65Grad like this.
  7. LSU_4_LIFE

LSU_4_LIFE Founding Member

I want Lincoln Riley as well. With the skill position talent in Louisiana, his ability to go recruit QB’s and ability to put his talent in positions to be successful, it’s a no brainer. He also just finds ways to win games, see yesterday’s game. That’s what great coaches do.

He has flamed out in the playoffs but I think he will have more success on defense recruiting to LSU than he does OU and because of that, his LSU teams would be much more successful in the CFP than his OU teams.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  8. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

Roads around university lake perfect for motorcycle ‘rides’

9. Don Castavez

Don Castavez Still liking scotch

I got it —— Petrino as HC Laneykins as OC . We keep Baby Huey as Recruiting Coordinator and hell bring Mike Price for Quality Control.
    Move athletic offices to the Gold Club. Is Gold Club still there ??
    Stopped there once —- just to use the phone .... sort of .

furduknfish and Winston1 like this.
  10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Are you crazy! there probably was Andromeda Strain level critters on that phone.

shane0911 and Don Castavez like this.