The 4th and 1 in the 3Q

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Nov 14, 2019.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I worried that the score might be low because both coaches would get a little tight and go conservative. I was encouraged that O stayed aggressive.

I was concerned about Aranda’s D also, but handcuffing our offense truly concerned me. I was sure if we played our game on offense we could score with Bama.

I expected a win, but confidence wasn’t high.

2. didit

didit Veteran Member

If it's 33-13 then we had already shut them down on d by this point... They scored on a bomb 64yd TD and a 74yd punt return, so one offensive drive that resulted in points... Punting at the 46 was the right call... Making them drive the field (95yds) was better odds for us than giving them a chance at a momentum changing stop and short field at home... Granted, a 1st down is huge there but if the d would've continued to do what they had done all game up to this point, we get a stop, force them to punt and we're back on o around the same field position...

3. lsu-i-like

But did they? No.
    Has this happened all year? Yes.

4. didit

didit Veteran Member

You're using the benefit of hindsight though... All they have is game situations at that point... We finished the game 8-15 of 3rd down conversations (53%), how would our 4th down conversion percentage be better when it's normally worse...

5. lsu-i-like

We have a defensive history this year of not shutting down teams; not hindsight, interpolation.

6. didit

didit Veteran Member

I gave you what happened during the game not the previous 8 games... Up to that point we had stopped them... Agree to disagree...

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So am I wrong in my assertion that CEH made that first down when he stretched out?

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'm 100% with you.

didit likes this.
  9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Sadly, they reviewed it for the first down but not the spot. HTF are those mutually exclusive reviews? When all said and done, it was 4th and 1 instead of inches.

I think Bham knew their cash cow was on the verge of getting blown out and started getting creative with spots in much of the second half. Anything to keep two teams in the playoff discussion.

10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

WTH moderator? Forgot the quote function? At any rate, I was only pointing out their success. I've seen conservative and his name is Miles.