The 4th and 1 in the 3Q

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I'm on the record that a team should always go for it on 4th and 1 in enemy territory. Always.

So here's a breakdown of the actual situation. LSU has a 4th and 1 at the Alabama 46. They have been moving the ball with relative ease all game. Time remaining: 8:30 in the 3Q. Score: 33-13.

LSU punts the ball to the 5-yard-line. Nice outcome, right?

Do you know how many plays it took Bama to get to (and beyond) their own 46? 2. How much time did it take? Less than 90 seconds. 40 yards of field position doesn't mean shit to an offense like theirs. That 20 point lead was trimmed to 6 at the start of the 4Q.

In a game like this, there is nothing more important than keeping possession and scoring whenever possible. It should be a LAST RESORT to give the ball back unless you're kicking off post-score. I hope our coaches learned from this mistake - this situation will present itself again this season.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  2. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

Yes, but I can see the punt argument too. At that point, they had only scored 6-pts on offense. Why give them an adrenaline shot of a possible 4th and 1 stop and a shorter field? Punting it and making them go 95 has its merits, too.

3. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

That’s part of the CONSERVATISM IN EVIDENCE since 2nd half of the MSU game.

We make that first and score our 40th point and ALABAMA IS BROKEN at 40-13 ...

We could have hit 54 or 61 points after that ...

I’ll call the play for you as they’ll have 8 or 9 at the line ...

4. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

It had NO MERITS ... It is a statement that we are BEING CONSERVATIVE and cannot trust our NUMBER ONE OFFENSE TO GAIN 1 FUCKING YARD ...

I fake a run and throw a short pass guaranteed with an 80% completion rate ...

THINK MAN!!! THINK!!!

There is Myles Ball
    There is Brady Ball

There is NO CHOICE for Champions!!!
    0A16B73A-5D36-467E-9B6B-FABD14082A9E.jpeg

5. ehusson80

ehusson80 Founding Member

In our situation going forward... I will side with going for it. You have to feel the pulse of your team AND your opponent and situation. Our team trumps those other factors from here on. Our offense has EARNED that right! GEAUX TIGERS!!!

6. RamahRising

RamahRising Jedi Prophet

Roubideaux, this is the best point made about that game all week!

Kudos Man!

These babies in here fearing a Dec 21 rematch vs Alabama didn’t get this point and my points about going conservative with a halftime lead (MSU, AU, ALA)

On the replay Joe is shaking his trigger finger telling Brady & E to send in a play

LSU without SHITHEAD MEDDLING in play-calling WOULD’VE CONVERTED and likely routed Alabama, likely even worse than the 44-16 beat down Dabo put on their asses ...

Kudos Bro !!! Great Thread

Robidoux87 likes this.
  7. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Can't argue with this at all. The numbers suggest that the strategy is more successful than the return. I hope this is a consideration brought forward by the 18,000 assistants crunching the numbers over game film. Sometimes, you have to allow success to drive strategic decisions. Especially when you have but only a moment to think it through. Given the circumstances with a 4th and 1 in their yard, it should be a standard call and not just a set of nuts to encourage the call.

8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Flipside to this, gumps went for it on 4th quite a few times out of desperation and the success was critical.

I think the very last thing you could criticize LSU for in that Bama game is being conservative. That's ludicrous.

As Danielson alluded to during the broadcast, there's aggressive and then there's reckless.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2019
    didit, JaxTigFan and lsu-i-like like this.
  9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Is this the bullshit ball placement that should have been a first down by Hellaire after stretching out?

northernvatiger and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Aranda hasn’t proven the ability to shut our opponent down on a regular basis. Still waiting on the return on $2.5M. We’ve probably gotten about 75% of that just from the disruption losing him to A&M would have caused, but the on-field and recruiting aren’t quite dominating.

And this has nothing to do with our offense.