Tell the truth Sunday

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Guido Merkins

Guido Merkins Founding Member

I know the offense is a problem. Anybody who doesn't is kind of blind. The staff is a problem and the scheme is a problem. If your goal is to win the SEC and get into the playoff, this offense probably won't get it done.

But the fact of the matter is this season has, for the most part, been really fun. LSU was supposed to be 7-5. I thought they were gonna be 8-4. So, personally, I'd prefer not to focus too much on the offense right now and just enjoy the ride. I have a strong suspicion we will end up in one of the access bowls and considering where we've been over the past few years, that's a great place to be. We'll have plenty of time to break down the issues on offense during the offseason going into next season. For right now, I'm just enjoying it because it's almost over.

el005639, COTiger, Winston1 and 6 others like this.
  2. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

Very reasonable. I am a little more concerned about the offense because I would love for them to make a push for #4 this year down the stretch, even if they don’t make it when all is said and done. I am impressed overall with their body of work, but I can’t stand seeing a subpar product on the field when you actually have a fighter’s chance at clawing back into the Top 4. I honestly think the second half against Arky just removed us from contention. I think the committee is going to look at the uninspired play and determine that LSU doesn’t deserve it this year.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I understand what you are saying, or at least I think I do but this statement

Doesn't really lend itself to these
    Everyone is glad that we have only 2 losses and feel we are ahead of where we were projected by most but damn its been ugly at times. I was sort of almost okay with keeping E because of a fear of bringing in someone with a "new" offense and whether or not the players could grasp it in time. Then I realized the gumps change OC's like socks no, wait, they don't wear socks lets go with the wind. Yeah they change OC's with the wind and it doesn't seem to affect them much. I think we are in DIRE need of new blood at the OC position. O's head may be lopped off if we don't.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  4. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

The first quote is referring to the season as a whole. The subpar comment is referring to the last two games or even really portions of the last two games. I agree with the rest of what you’ve said. I agree that E deserved time to develop his offense, but I’ve literally watched it get worse as the season has gone on. If we had something to improve on like the end of 2016, I would be ok with keeping him. But now we’re at the end of a full year with actual regression on. Need to demote him to TE coach and bring in someone new. I like Freeze but I’d prefer a little bit more of a run game than he usually does.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2018
    LSU_4_LIFE, shane0911 and LSUpride123 like this.
  5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

In my 42 years on this planet I’ve turned 4 LSU games off before the end. First time I ever did was January 2012, all 3 other games have been under Orgeron. I don’t know how watching the same offense for the last 13 years is fun. It’s not, Tirk fucking nailed it. He doesn’t give a shit, he is just like 90 percent of all other coaches, get your dudes in jobs, spread some love around hire people to ensure you’ll get hired again somewhere, as long as they win they don’t care what the final score is or how pitiful the offense looks and make no mistake, this is one of the worst we have seen in quite some time here and that’s saying something.

LSU_4_LIFE, shane0911 and LSUpride123 like this.
  6. Guido Merkins

This offense really hasn't been very good at all this year. Other than the Georgia game and the Ole Miss game, we've been pretty bad. You win a last second game at Auburn where you stink it up for most of the day, but nobody wants to talk about that, because you won. Burrow was God awful in that game until the last 2 drives. But the numbers all year have said we were a pretty bad offense, but until we got shut out by Bama, people didn't wanna hear it. And it's not all Burrow's fault. The scheme isn't helping him

I think we are in desperate need of new blood on offense. Justin McMillan is playing really well at Tulane. Yeah, the competition is not SEC caliber, but they have him in an offense that is modern and fits his skill set. We need a real offensive coordinator. That's what we were promised when CEO was hired...

kcal and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  7. LaSalleAve

Yep and not only that a modernized offense. God damn pro teams that win don’t even run pro style offenses anymore

kcal and LSU_4_LIFE like this.
  8. Guido Merkins

Personally, I think the odds are remote that we get back into the playoff, even before this game. You need so many things to happen. I just think people put too much stock into the week to week rankings. LSU only falls to 7, so they still have a shot, right?? Like Ohio St isn't gonna jump us if they win the Big 10 or West Virginia if they win the Big 12. It's not impossible, but it's highly improbable. The week to week rankings are mostly for entertainment. LSU being #7 doesn't mean they just need 3 teams ahead of them to lose. It's more subjective than that.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  9. Guido Merkins

I said this last week. Sean Payton who has perhaps the greatest pro style QB ever is now running RPOs and jet sweeps. It's just part of the offense, but he uses it because it's effective.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.
  10. LaSalleAve

All the offenses in the league that are successful these days run a lot of spread with run pass option, and mix in some of that old I and singleback formation every now and then to keep defesnes honest or to try and read tendencies of the Mike and the safety. We are just lost in the past with coaches who refuse to adapt. Even Saban’s stubborn ass realized this and now Alabama has one of the best offenses in college football.

LSU_4_LIFE likes this.