Talking Heads and NY Governor

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by luvdimtigers, Mar 11, 2008.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

2. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

I am not a Rush fan at all, but in this case his is a bit right. I watched Alan Dershowitz claim this just boils down to a sex case. He is claiming everything Spitzer did was just a simple misdemeanor, so we should not care about it at all.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

And of course, for my biggest pet peeve, as I stated about Hillary in another thread, there was Spitzer's humiliated wife standing right behind him at that press conference.

As a wife and a strong woman, I would like to just see the ridiculous practice of trotting out the jilted wife on TV to support her man, so she can make an already public humiliation that much more agonizing. This isn't the stone ages anymore. Women can even wear pants in public and show their ankles. In fact, I hear that there's talk of letting girls attend school sometime soon.

I mean, seriously, guys? And Mrs. Spitzer didn't even try to hide her disdain...

4. Krypto

Krypto Huh?

yeah i don't get that either Stacey. All the women I know would have already beaten me to a pulp and started divorce proceeding by now.

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

If they're fashion-conscious women, why would they want to be seen in high-waters? :lol::lol: I kid, Stacey, and I agree with you. It all goes back, IMO, to Hillary sitting next to Bill during the Jennifer Flowers episode. Are these women standing by their man, or their meal ticket? Or could it be that most politicians are similarly blessed with very understanding wives who can forgive anything?

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Hillary and Silda are two different cases IMO. Hillary and Bill both had long histories of infidelity back to their days in Arkansas. I think they had an agreement and frankly Hillary likely made a political/power decision rather than a personal one. Would she be in the same place today had she dumped Bill? I really don't think so.

Silda Spitzer is a Harvard educated attorney who has a career and a reputation in NY. She is involved in some very high profile charities involving children. The Spitzers have 3 daughters. While it was painful to watch her yesterday (and let's face it, everyone was watching her, not her husband) I am willing to consider a few reasons why she may have done it. Perhaps it was a way to keep the media attention off their kids. If they both show up and send the message that no question are allowed, they become the targets and that's better for the girls IMO. Perhaps Silda considered how her daughters would view her absence from that podium, maybe she even asked them. Only the Spitzers can know the best way to handle things where their kids/their family are concerned. She was one tough cookie for doing it.

What's more important and how she will be judged is what happens after. If she dumps him then her presence at the press conference will be forgiven. If she stays and they work on their problems, she'll be compared to Hillary or at least considered weak or submissive.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Does she have some extremely thick ankles or what?

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Or what probably. Hillary is getting a bit broad in the beam compared to 1980's photo's. Washington reporters say that Mary Landrieu is the "Senator that looks best in a swimsuit".

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Only if it covers her head.