T.O.?

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by clair, Mar 5, 2009.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

god, no!

2. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

I think that a team could sign T.O. for relatively cheap. An incentive laden 2 year contract for an aging wide receiver. It's certainly do-able.

Put it this way, if Benson wants T.O., Benson could sign T.O.

I say go all in. I've been a Saints fan my entire life and year in and year out we've never won shiit. It's time to go all in. Push all of your chips to the middle of the table and make a run. In the NFL you have a very small window before it slams shut.

I say let's do it.

1 person likes this.
  3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I agree it could happen, but do you think T.O. will go for an incentive laden contract? I'd say his ego would never let that happen. He still think he's the best and will demand money as "the best". If I'm right, do you feel that no other team would spend on him (Tampa maybe)? The only way the Saints could get him cheap would be is if no other team broke the bank for him.

I could see this line of thinking with Al Davis, Dan Snyder, or Jerry Jones, but I just don't see Benson as one of those guys who would EVER say, "We have to get this guy whatever it takes!"

I can certainly appreciate the sentiment. I feel the same way about the Saints. If we're going to go "ALL IN" though, I'd rather it be on bring in serious help on defense or a running back. We have a GREAT offense already. I don't think T.O. improves us that much, and certainly not worth the price I think he would command.

4. Cajun Sensation

Dude. Drew Brees at center. T.O. and Colston out wide left. Reggie Bush in the slot. A healthy Shockey at TE. Devery out wide to the right.

WTF would a defense do against that?

Our defense is servicable (sp). Our offense would put up 50 points a game. Brees would break Marinos record and the Saints would walk through the NFC as there are no stand out teams right now.

The ingredients are there. Is making a run at T.O. a gamble? ABSOLUTELY....but it's a gamble that I think that we should take right now.

jmho.

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

We thought our defense was "serviceable" going into last season. It didn't work out. So far the only improvements we've made have been to bring in Greer and hire Gregg Williams. While I think both are GREAT moves, I don't think we're done with the defense yet. The only move I'd like to see us make offensively is to pick up a true power back.

6. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

What hole would he fill he's not a bruising physical back , I still would take T.O's hands over Devery's

7. LSUtiger327

LSUtiger327 Pow right in da kissa

+1

need defense. being ranked 28th or 29th in the league is not serviceable.

D is priority 1.

1 person likes this.
  8. pjnchamps

pjnchamps Founding Member

Dont see TO going to Tampa Bay because he wants to Win NOW and they dont have a proven QB like Brees. There is really no one else out there RB OR Defensive FA wise that could help the Saints They could sign Sharper plus TO because Sharper is going to be a very affordable veteran contract if he signs with NO. Im surprised they haven't even thought about Dre Bly.

9. Cajun Sensation

You are right, being ranked 28th or 29th is NOT serviceable....but hiring Greg Williams automatically catapults you to 17th in the league. Then you address your DB situation in the draft and in free agency (which the Saints are addressing). We re-signed Vilma and THAT is a serviceable defense.

All I'm saying is couple a serviceable defense (the one in which I outlined above) with a HIGH OCTANE offense (which includes Reggie, Brees, Colston and T.O) and make a run at a Superbowl.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Operative word is gamble. As in HUGE gamble.

3 years ago, maybe you would consider it, when he had much more upside.

He is starting the waning years of his career and won't offer nearly as much, and will start to get injured more than likely.