Syria crosses "red line" again...

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by GregLSU, Aug 21, 2013.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You are uninformed as well as gullible. We have dramatically increased aid to Israel. Read the friggin' news today. We are deploying a third advanced anti-missile system in Israel and they tested it today and freaked out the Russians. This whole attack Syria business is intended to protect Israel by weakening Assad and remind Iran of a thing or two as it is about chemical weapons punishment.

They are snakebit because Dubya lied to them upon his way to a quagmire. Hard to blame them.

Nope. Our relationship with Egypt has always been through the Egyptian military. Remember Mubarak was a General. It was Obama that influenced the Egyptian military to allow an election after the revolution rather than return to a military dictatorship. Their decision to shit-can democracy and stage a coup was them dropping the ball, not Obama. Nevertheless the Egyptian military is still in good relation with the US and will eventually allow a return to democracy. Meanwhile they are stepping up attacks against Al Qaeda element in the Sinai and trying to quash the Muslim Brotherhood.

Bullshit, do you read at all. He forced the Brits and the French to finally step up int heir own back yard and take the lead because they were screaming the loudest for action. Then he backed them with all the support they needed to get the job done. Without Obama it would not have happened and the Libyan revolution would have failed and Qadaffi would still be in charge.

He ordered the violation of Pakistan sovereignty to kill bin Ladin. He ordered the killing of Somali pirates holding Americans, other countries pay huge ransoms. He has been decisive whenever it was necessary.

What evidence do you have of this.? Everybody in the Middle east is falling over themselves to get on our good side. Half the Middle East allows us advance military bases. Nobody is pushing Obama around or disrespecting him either . . . except for Syria and Iran, our implacable enemies.

Your grasp of military geopolitics is poor. If we attack Assad, he certainly won't be looking any stronger. Iran and Russia win nothing, how do you figure that?

First of all Putin has already been arming Assad and providing intel all along. Putin told Obama to piss off? He sending ambassadors to the US to beg Congress not to authorize an attack. He knows that he can't stop it any other way. Assads "effective anti-air defense" is going to be left a smoking ruin by this strike if it happens. Israel loves this.

On the whole, Obama has done a very good job as I have outlined. I don't think we should attack Syria either, not right now anyway. We could impose an arms embargo first. The navy is there. But if we do attack, we have capability to make a significant difference in Assads ability to defend himself and demonstrate to Iran that we can and will act militarily.

That's a partisan opinion. He's shown no hesitance to act when it is called for. He acting right now. I'm not suggesting Obama is perfect, I don't entirely agree with him now, but his foreign policy record so far has been pretty damn good.

And I will agree with you on one thing. Obama can talk a blue streak. And like many other articulate and eloquent men, it sometimes leads him to talking too much. In this case, he did not need to draw that red line. The revulsion to the use of chemical weapons had already been universal and against international law. It didn't need saying. We don't need to say what our red lines are. That put the trigger into Assad's hands. Now that Assad has pulled it, American reputation and credibility is at stake and Obama may be forced to act.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

so wait a minute, now @red55 is all for this strike now that barry has jumped on board? Where the fuck is that damn scratch your head icon thingy? @BRETT really needs to bring that one back.

3. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

If yall want any particular smilie just post it and tag me and I'll add it to the system.

4. red55

No, I still think we have better plays. And this one hasn't played out yet. But if it's going to happen, we might as well make the most of it and damage Assad's irreplaceable assets severely.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Barry is a terrible poker player.

6. red55

He's good at hoops.

7. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Unless it concerns his NCAA bracket, glad he's good at something though... he sucks at golf.

8. red55

This is why the Syria situation is so complicated. There may be close to 1,000 different rebel militias involved in Syria. How are we going to vet the moderate, democratic ones and arm them? It won't be quick or easy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

10. red55

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013