Supreme Court Ruling

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Buzz69, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

I think implementing of the Name, Image, & Likeness (NIL) provisions are the first step toward Pay For Play provisions particularly for those athletes in revenue producing sports.
    The link is to a USA Today article that I think provides an excellent analysis of what's coming.
    Personally, I have thought within the past 10 years or so that it was just a matter of time before something like this was brought to the table.
    Your thoughts.

Why Supreme Court ruling has NCAA council scrambling on NIL vote (usatoday.com)

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

What exactly happened? They can make money for doing camps and autographs?

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Technically, the supreme court ruling was specific to limits on education benefits, so camps and autographs aren't fair game...yet. It opens up things like additional graduate school scholarships or paid internships. Kavanaugh and Gorsuch both suggested in their opinions that additional compensation limitations might not pass muster under antitrust laws either, though, and they might be interested in hearing additional arguments on those in the future. It's only a matter of time, at this point.

LSUTiga and Buzz69 like this.
  4. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Im just wondering how the other 90 players that no one wants autographs or endorsements from are gonna profit. And what about the ladies BBall team and so on...

5. LSUTiga

Thank you

MobileBengal likes this.
  6. LSUTiga

Interesting point.

7. Buzz69

Buzz69 Freshman

Personally, I think it's going to boil down to how each school wants to apply it. I don't think there will be an across the board policy. As far as pay for play when it's enacted, I think it will only apply to athletes in revenue producing sports. When these policies are fully implemented I think the future of the NCAA is dim at best.

8. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Players will also learn that their image and likeness really aren't worth all that much. The real money is what University are they representing because that is what ultimately matters

GiantDuckFan and LSUTiga like this.
  9. furduknfish

Zactly, sum of the parts greater than the whole.

10. furduknfish

Pretty sure whole point of the new rule is the universities cant apply anything. Control will now reside with the individual rather than the organization. Nothing wrong with that but people forget we are only talking about a handful of universities and a handful of players/students . Rest will be watching from the outside.