Strip Search

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by MiketheTiger69, May 15, 2004.

1. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

Actual there were people around that wrote about Jesus and documented it unlike the big bang. There is more proof that Jesus existed than any big bang theory out there even if one is inclined like yourself to not take it to a spiritual meaning and also to not believe he is the son of god.

My point is if you cannot prove either point why are you so biased against christianity in that you have to resort to childish name calling. You do not give christian beliefs any of the leeway that you seem willing to give to the big bang theory. Even though you admit that the big bang is not fact and is just a theory, you say "it might be true" and is "a way of describing the universe that works out, given our current knowledge." How does the big bang theory work out? To lower myself to your type of argument I think anyone who believes that the big bang theory might be true while mocking events that were documented by people who were actually there is an idiot and is incapable of being any more thoughtful or realistic than a 12 year old. Kind of a childish way to make an argument isn't it, but that is what you constantly resort to when religion comes up.

You say you have no beliefs and believe in ignorance, but you seem willing to choose one theory over another - one with some historical documentation versus another with no proof just people making a theory on how the universe could have come into existence as it is today through a completely random and magical set of actions billions of years ago while calling anyone who thinks differently of having childish thoughts and having "stupid christian beliefs" even though you cannot prove they are wrong or prove you are right. Yes I know this is where you can throw in the you believe nothing and admit ignorance, but your views on christians show a different set of beliefs. You might not think you are indoctrinated, but I would bet no one else has this belief about you.

2. dallastigers

I quoted your 12 year old statement in my response, so you know what I was talking about. But good try, answer the question about how these people that think like 12 year olds can hold their own against you unless you think like a 12 year old yourself?

You keep saying you have no beliefs and admit ignorance, so why resort to demeaning others beliefs by comparisons to 12 year olds, saying stuff like "stupid christian beliefs", and comparing these beliefs to believing in "wizards". If you have no beliefs and plead ignorance you would think you would either be open to adult conversation on the subject or not care enough about the subject to even comment on it. Your continued derogatory comments about people who believe in Christ, show that you at least have the belief that believers of christianity or other religions have an ignorance that must be much lower than the ignorance that you keeping saying you admit that you have. I guess if you keep saying to yourself enough that you do not have beliefs and do admit ignorance you can indoctrinate yourself to the belief that it is really true, but it does not work on others that read it or hear it from you.

Just to help out I will get you started.
    From Martin:
    " i have no beliefs, and admit ignorance."

Oh crap it works I am starting to believe you really do not have beliefs and do believe that you admit true ignorance on this subject. I apologize for my earlier comments and will never have an independent thought or except the opinions of others on this subject ever again. You are correct and when it come to religious discussions I am too childlike to ever offer up anything intelligent.

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

you dont make sense. if neither of us knows the answer to a question, and you make a wizard that explains everything, and i do not, you are the one who is the idiot, not me. you are the one who has the false system. why i should i have any respect for that?

people always say "you should respect my beliefs". why? i dont respect tarot cards, i dont respect palm readers, i dont respect fortune cookies. if you wann make up something equally stupid, why should i listen and not taunt it?

listen closely. there is a difference between ignorance and claiming to not be ignorant. claiming to have all the answers is different than not knowing. i cannot explain why quantum physics works like it does. i do not just say "a magic wizard put this electron in a quantum transpositional state that defies traditional physics". that is less honest than saying "i dont understand quantum physics."

calm down.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

i walk the earth too, maybe i am god.

and just as many "scholars" from other religions claim their book is the legit one also. but i get it, yours happens to be right, since you were taught that from childhood. all the other millions of people studying other magic books, they are wrong. sucks to be them.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

am i allowed to make fun of people who believe in astrology? what about people who use divining rods to find water? can i make fun of voodoo? can i make fun of trailer trash who always see aliens and UFO's?

its takes "faith" to believe in those things too, just like your superstition. but the "faith" you have is off limits somehow.

yunno, i know that at some place deep in your brain there is the understanding that you are tricking yourself into believing nonsense, because of a couple reasons i am too lazy to go into now. if you are vigilant enough to hold down your tendency to be rational, then you can blissfully believe the happy-time fairy tale. jesus loves you.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Here are a few quotes from some ignorant, stupid people:

That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary. -- Major Kira Nerys

Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation. -- Elton Trueblood

Faith is not something to grasp, it is a state to grow into. -- Mahatama Gandhi

Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe.--St. Augustine

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.-- Martin Luther King Jr.

And finally:

He doth protest too much...Wm. Shakespeare

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

"Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable." - hl mencken

""Faith: not *wanting* to know what is true." - friedrich nietzsche

"[My] deep religiosity... found an abrupt ending at the age of twelve, through the reading of popular scientific books." - einstein

"To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today." - isaac asimov

"I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious theories of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God." - thomas edison

"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - mark twain

"The Bible is not my book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma." - abe lincoln

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature." - thomas jefferson

'"[When a young person loses faith in his religion because he begins to study science and its methodology] it isn't that [through the obtaining of real knowledge that] he knows it all, but he suddenly realizes that he doesn't know it all." - richard feynman

"my quotes hammer yours" - martin

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i found it amusing that when i looked for quotes i found that einstein agreed with me that age 12 was the year that a human can have the mental strength to escape the stupidity of their mysticism.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

looking at these quotes it is like i found more intelligent versions of myself, saying the things i say in much more elegant ways. here is what i have been telling you peeps forever, stated alot better than i do:

""Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

- richard dawkins.

10. dallastigers

You could be consistant and make fun of your faith in the big bang theory. You could also make fun of everything you argue for or against, but religion is the only thing that you continually argue by putting down the messenger instead of the message. It reminds me of liberals resorting to calling conservatives racists and facists when they can offer nothing else. Why do you resort to it just on this topic? When you cannot prove your beliefs you say you have no beliefs, and when you cannot disprove someone else's belief you call it magic? It must be nice for you to be a true believer that people actually think you make valid points with this kind of argument.

You continue to talk about of both sides of your mouth on this issue. I find it funny that you must think you are of a superior intellect because you refuse to believe in wizzards, but you cannot disprove christianity. Do you need to believe this "Wizard" stuff and that your belief is intellectually superior to a christian belief for you to gain some sense of self worth living a life that you believe will lead to nothing in the end? I continue to laugh at your superiority when you try to compare Christianity to astrology and the like, when someone of your intellect must know that astrology can easily be proven false every day, but you cannot disprove that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and is the son of god. Find me historical proof that Jesus was a complete fraud. Shows us all we are wrong, because you continue to offer nothing but a Philosophy 101 argument. Show us why your choose to believe one theory over another when you admit you cannot prove or disprove either. For someone who likes to make fun of believers you do not back up why you feel so confident about your beliefs, and you do have beliefs whether your superior intellect will allow yourself to admit it or not.

By the way I know the answer I said if you, as in Martin, cannot prove either point.

Maybe you need to take a closer look at your posted quotes in relation to your faith in an unproven theory and also not wanting to know what is true.