Strip Search

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by MiketheTiger69, May 15, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Man, your parents did a job on you. Anyway, as I see it you can choose not to believe and go about your life flaunting all of the little rules and mores that keep us all in line. Or, you can believe in a higher power and live your life according to the beliefs of your chosen religion. Either way, you are going to die one day and either that will be it or there will be some sort of eternal ife. I'm not taking a chance that it's not the latter.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

right, and if you think you can "choose" what to believe, like an insurance policy, you have learned to delude yourself, out of fear.

3. SabanFan

Whatever. It keeps me from thinking of myself as nothing more than walking worm food.

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

It doesn't cost anything extra to be a Christian and you might actually aquire some neat friends. It may all be a cruel joke as you think, but if I'm wrong the only thing I've done was give to some charitable organizations to help some less fortunate people and went to a few picnics. If you're wrong the consequenses are much more eternal. So for you're sake you better hope you're right. If I'm wrong it doesn't matter much, you won't be there to say I told you so.

5. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

So do you believe that scientists or lay people that believe in this theory (or similar ones) are similar to christians in that they both are basing their beliefs of the origin of the universe on things that have not been proven as scientific facts?

6. dallastigers

dallastigers Founding Member

In that case I have seen many so called 12 year olds on this forum offer many thought provoking arguments that were as good as yours and even better sometimes, so I am assuming you are putting yourself at this same level. Also, do not feel to left out in regards to people having indoctrination issues.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

of course, it is stupid to believe the big bang is a "fact". it is just a way of describing the universe that works out , given our current knowledge. it might be true, and anyone who refuses to acknowledge that it might be wrong is being an idiot. i dont recall ever hear an intelligent person claim they believe in the big bang in the same way that people believe in jesus. the whole point of what i have been telling you guys is that not being certain of where the universe comes from is no reason to believe a childish fairy tale.

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am the opposite of indoctrinated, in that i have no beliefs, and admit ignorance. besides, i didnt call anyone 12 year olds, i said they were thinking like 12 year olds.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

you still dont understand the nature of belief. if you come and offer me a billion dollars if i believe that you are an alligator, i cannot make a choice to believe you. i either believe something or i dont. no prizes or eternal bliss can make me believe the obviously false no matter how bad i want to.

10. SabanFan

I get it. It's like being gay.

And what makes it so "obviously" false. There is some tangible proof that Jesus Christ walked the earth. The Bible is considered an authentic document by many eminent, extremely intelligent scholars. I just get the feeling you are trying to convince yourself that you are the only one in step.