Stephen Sullivan Recommits to LSU

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by LSUDad, Aug 16, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Sullivan decommits from LSU
    [​IMG]
    Stephen Sullivan is no longer an LSU commitment (Photo: 247Sports)
    Four-star wide receiver Stephen Sullivan was the first commitment in LSU's 2016 class, committing in February 2014 as the first building block in a class that would eventually be ranked No. 1 in the country.

But on Sunday evening, Sullivan decided to reopen his recruitment process, meaning he no longer was committed to play for the Tigers.

"I have decided to decommit from LSU," Sullivan posted on Twitter. "LSU is a great school and I love everything about it. Coach Cam and I have a great relationship. He understands me and everything I need. The LSU coaching staff treats me like family, that's what I love about it.

"But this is one of the biggest decisions of my life, and I want to make sure it's the right decision for me and only me. LSU was my first D1 offer, so I guess you can say I got too excited about it. I'm finally understanding what this recruiting process is all about. I realize that I cannot rush anything. I just want to make sure I make the right decision and the best choice for me.

"The Tigers will still be one of my top schools and the next time I make my decision, it will be my final decision."

Sullivan is ranked by the 247Composite as the No. 12 wide receiver in the country, the No. 8 prospect in Louisiana and the No. 89 overall player in the 2016 class.

TCU is widely considered the team that gave Sullivan the most to think about prior to his LSU decommitment, with Sullivan making multiple trips to Fort Worth on unofficial visits. LSU still has two wide receivers committed for 2016 in Louisiana's Da'Monte Coxie and Texas' Dee Anderson.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I liked him and normally this would be a huge loss but WR is not a position of need and we have a lot of guys on the other side of the ball that we have a chance to sign up.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Not a huge loss, till signing day. I think its good for these kids to take the trips. But like I said, signing day is whats to watch.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Accepting commitments from high school sophomores never made much sense to me. If they don't pan out the offer will be pulled. If they make high school All American, they are going to want to be recruited nationally.

LaSalleAve and LSUDad like this.
  5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I guess I should have said, assuming it sticks. I think it will though. I only wanted 2 WR's in this class. I'm good with Anderson and Coxie.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

You only want people who want to be Tigers. Let him take the trips. If there is still a spot once he has finished, he will be welcomed.

7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't get it either.

8. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

To me...What would be the point of turning a commitment away just because they are a sophomore or whatever? That would likely do more damage then good from a recruiting standpoint. Gives us a slight leg up and committed or not recruiting the prospect doesn't stop at that point.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I agree, I just don't put much faith in sophomore commitments. They are as soft as they come.

10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

In 1995 Todd McClure was the first in his class to give a verbal, he was going to LSU no matter.

After coming to a LSU Camp, Kade Comeaux gave a verbal, I think this was before his 10 grade season. Signed with the 2000 class.

Blue Gay was on a visit to bama, Jimbo Fisher got in touch with his high school coach, who in turn, called spoke with Blue and told him LSU wanted to offer. Also in that 2000 class.

One more in the 2000 class, Marcus Randall was set to go to Southern. Jimbo call a coach I know and asked about QB's in the area, they needed players at the position. My friend told him to go over to Glen Oaks and take a look at Marcus.

Dinardo did a good job recruiting, there was a bunch of talent, just needed a little coaching.