News Stephan Hawking Declares There is No God

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by Bengal B, Sep 26, 2014.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I would hope most sane people dont need religion to keep them on a moral path. Humans need direction so religion helps many but to think everyone would just kill if there was no afterlife is a stretch. Studies have show humans have altruistic tendencies from birth.

"Moreover, our stress systems themselves seem to be designed to connect us to others. They calm down when we are feeling close to people we care about — whether related to us or not — and spike during isolation and loneliness. Even short periods of solitary confinement can derange the mind and damage the body because of the stress they create. And having no social support can be as destructive to health as cigarette smoking.

Of course, none of this is to say that humans are never selfish or that we don’t have a grasping, greedy part of our nature. But to claim, as Rand does, that “altruistic morality” is a “disease” is to misrepresent reality."

http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/08/is-human-nature-fundamentally-selfish-or-altruistic/

Outside of Muslims. Id hope human tendency isnt to go on a killing spree if it was guaranteed no penalty. But since most criminals are dumb, the ones whod try to get away with it would go to jail otherwise.

uscvball and GregLSU like this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

If you are married and leave your spouse for another before becoming divorced, I think that's cheating. If you want to call it something else, fine. You asked if I had never messed up a relationship to somehow equivocate for Mr. Hawking. My answer hasn't changed. I have not done what he did.

Absolutely not. If Hawking respected other people "of science", he could easily read their near death experiences to determine their possible existence. I happen to believe they both science and faith can co-exist. Hawking has no scientific evidence to deny God but he has chosen to. Great!

No, sorry I don't know anything of the kind if I take him at his word which I quoted. He has nothing other than his own opinions to conclude whether there is a God or not. It's the way for all of us. He ain't special because he knows black holes and shit. :D

He is an arrogant ass. He became that once the world set up shop in his home. As you said, he is human. He is not above the frailties of mind that come with popularity and idolatry. I know confidence. He isn't it.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Arrogance is spreading children's stories and fairy tales with such belief the government treats such organizations with kid gloves and grants them tax emept status. Proselytizing for a god is the ultimate in arrogance because it requires you to throw away all reason, all logic and all critical thinking and to refuse to allow yourself to question this narrative that you have created out of fear.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What if you are wrong? Are you ready to be strung up by your balls face down in a bucket of boiling shit for ever and ever and ever and ever?

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

are you quoting Rust Cohle here?

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

But they can separate their faith from their science. That's fine. It's the few that try to use science to defend faith that are out to lunch. And none of them can match Hawking's accomplishments.

Well, this is nonsense.

He was clear in that it was his belief and that everyone is entitled to his own beliefs.

tirk likes this.
  7. red55

Morality does not go hand-in hand with religion. The jihadists are wrapped up in faith. How moral are they?

8. red55

So religious people are only moral because they fear imaginary hellfire and seek imaginary paradise? How moral are the religious fanatics that cause most of the worlds problems? People practice morality because it is the right thing to do. or they don't. It has little to do with religious beliefs, although religious training does emphasize morality. So do the Boy Scouts.

tirk likes this.
  9. red55

Well, this is confusing. What in the world does a "near death experience" prove? I have had a near death experience twice. I did not see God.

So do I. I see no evidence whatsoever for the existence of God. But I like having an imaginary friend and I'd hate to lose Her.

You like to cite Occam's razor. All Hawking has done is say that the simplest, best explanation for the creation of the universe does not require a deity.

Exactly!

Methinks thou dost protest too much. :D

10. red55

That's for sure. That's for dang sure.