stealing music, and the future of copyright

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Jul 3, 2007.

1. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

yes it was

2. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

he has paid for royalties (sorry my post was misleading) but the group can stop the songs use if its use amounts to an endorsement.

3. kluke

kluke Founding Member

Yeh, I keep hoping the next CD will be as good as the first. I love her vocal range and power.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

OK, in an effort to be hip and cool like you and martin, I installed Google Play on my pc and it is uploading my stuff.

A couple of questions:

1. If I rename a song on my pc, will the change propagate automatically to the cloud?
    2. Does it find duplicates? If so, how does it handle them?

That brings up another question. In iTunes, I have a ton of duplicates. I tried manually deleting them once and that really fubar'd playlists and what not. How can I get rid of the duplicates and not f everything up?

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Use the Display Duplicates command in the File menu, then delete the songs you want to get rid of. Because duplicate titles don't necessarily mean the versions themselves are the same, you'll want to check for tracks that are the same length. Drag the Time column next to the Name column so you can easily see which are true duplicates. You can also use View Options in the View menu to add a Bit Rate column if it's not already there, and drag it next to the Time column so you can also easily see if one copy is higher quality than another (higher bit rate means higher quality). There are folks who have written scripts that make these tasks easy and quick.

But if you delete a song that is in a playlist, you will have to replace it in each playlist with whatever song you wish. I know of no routine that can automatically replace a deleted song in a playlist with a duplicate retained song.

6. martin

martin Banned Forever

The name change will not sync to the cloud.

7. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

What is a CD?

8. martin

martin Banned Forever

Also there is a time limit of perhaps 30 minutes per song with google music. So have my music there and my longer British radio shows on amazon cloud player.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

today i remembered that the JK rowling book is about to come out, so i reserved it at my local library online. i notice i am 60th in line.

lets assuem the gal of the library is to encouragepublic reading and the literacy that brings to the community.why wouldnt they just get a digital copy of the book and loan it endlessly? i guess this is the big question, the one we have been wrestling with here for however many pages, the quesion red and i have argued for so many years. is it in the public interest to encourage reading, or to protect the revenue model? why loan this book to me at all? why make me wait for a copy when not limited by physical copies? i mean,i know why, the publishing indutry, but why does the library care about that?

LSUpride123 likes this.
  10. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Because the publishing industry's rapidly obsolescing model is supported by copyright law, and libraries ain’t in the business of pushing boundries.