stealing music, and the future of copyright

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Jul 3, 2007.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

so we agree, for you to convert your drm'd itunes files would be illegal. dont do it.

your intent is not relevant, it simply is illegal for you to manipulate your own files. you think they are yours, but they are not.

my situation with the library is similar. i have no intent to distribute anything. but if i am to read them on my kindle, i must duplicate them in a way that is illegal. do you see how the industry has manipulated the laws to an absurd extent?

again, circumventing copy protection is illegal. it doesnt matter of you do it for whatever reason you think is ok. it is even illegal to distribute information about how to circumvent copy protection. clearly a massive violation of freedom of speech.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Then offer an alternative that still preserves intellectual property rights. You are bitching about a very small inconvenience to you. if authors and publishers can't make money on them, then E-books can not be produced. Would you also find that an inconvenience?

3. martin

martin Banned Forever

not necessary, i can steal. and this is what happens when you squeeze people like the content companies do.

i am happy to pay for ebooks. i buy them from the amazon kindle store. i just dont like to be restricted. i wish i could give my amazon ebooks to my friends, but i cant, at least not legally. when things like this annoy me, i simply break the law.

when people are doing criminal things that they do not feel guilty about, it isnt just always that they are sociopaths (think drug use), it is that the laws are outdated and/or wrong.

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Or the government, just wait until we have to pay all these extra taxes for healthcare, green energy and government spending.
    Our power bills are going up here by 8 percent thanks to the democrats green energy policies.
    They were both actually announced the same day!

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

it appears to me that this "spotify" is basically just unlimited free music, ad supported in the player, which was inevitable. also when i get invites i will give em to use guys if you want em.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I have a bunch of music I am willing to share also. I don't know how exactly but I think you and I may have somewhat similar taste when it comes to music.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i dont mean i am willing to share music, thats a hassle, i mean i have been invited to use "spotify", the new program thing, and i anticipate i will be able to invite other to do so as well. unfortunately they are not giving me invites the way i hoped.

8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Spotify is awesome.. unreal actually....

9. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

how long does it take to get an invite after you register?

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

i think they open it once a month and if you're in the queue you move up.

although im sure its all the money advertisers getting the actual invites.