stealing music, and the future of copyright

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by martin, Jul 3, 2007.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I'm thinking of getting a microwave.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

yeah.

so by passing the laws that make stripping drm from digital files illegal, amazon has closed its device from library books, creating a technological monopoly supported by the government. why does the government care if, for example, i read my library -borrowed files on the kindle. the library wants me to read, they do not want to protect a business model.

so my issue isnt like beta/vhs, a simple tech issue of format. it is about government protecting business from the consumer.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No. It goes back to our fundamental disagreement. You don't respect intellectual property. Authors, artists, and musicians have the same right to protect their product from theft as any other businessman.

4. martin

martin Banned Forever

so when i read the ebook i borrowed from the library i am good, but when i make the necessary adjustments to the same file to read it on my kindle, i am a thief. got it. legal to read it on a sony reader or on my computer, but not on my kindle, which i own.

keep in mind i have a library card, and i follow proper borrowing procedure and even read and delete the file within the loan period. i am still a lawbreaker for defeating the digital protection of the file in order to read it in the format i want.

martin: a criminal so evil he likes to read books from his local library.

i agree, amazon has the right to sell a device that is locked down and encourages folks to buy from their store. but i will beat them at that game and put foreign content on it. no need for the government to step in and take sides in the battle between me and amazon.

5. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

screw em, steal the ****. especially if said author has already made it in the book game. same thing with musicians. steal their music if they made it big, if they are underground, go to the shows and buy their music at the shows only. Screw the recording industry. Pink Floyd actually had a nice win in court the other day vs. record labels.
    Music and Movie News - Covering The Louisiana State University Community (LSU) -- Tigerweekly.com

record labels rape the artists and its not theft, but when consumers share music with each other it is theft. stupid.

6. red55

You broke their rules for borrowing it. When you borrow a book, either real or electronic, you have the right to read it, not to duplicate it. When you purchase a book, you can make a copy for your personal use. If you distribute the copy, you must pay royalties to its author.

If you duplicate a borrowed book, you are a thief.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

not correct. used to be, when i borrow an ebook, i download to my computer and sync it to my sony reader. that means there is a duplicate on my reader, and this is perfectly acceptable. the onlyt difference now is that to sync it (meaning duplicate) it to my kindle, i have to defeat the copy protection(which is illegal) that prevents it from working on my kindle.

again, not true. i can buy a kindle book, but i cannot give you that book without illegally manipulating it, even if i delete it from my reader. you are still thinking as if we are dealing with physical objects which is why you do not understand.

not true. like i said, ebooks must be duplicated in order to be placed on the reader, by design. a copy will exist on my computer, and on my reader, at the same time. that does not make me a thief.

however, if i am using my kindle an d not the sony reader, the process of making that necessary duplication will be illegal. this is where the laws are flawed and out of date. younger folks, having a better understanding of the nature of digital information, will fix these laws soon.

red, if you bought a new mp3 player, and you wanted to put all your DRM itunes music (which you paid for) on a new player, and there was software that would free the music from drm and allow you play it on your new non-ipod player, would you do it? or is that immoral? because it is definitely illegal.

8. red55

No way I would own a non-Apple device. Anyway, All I would have to do is legally export the iTunes AAC files as MP3 and then do whatever I want with them . . . except distribute them to third parties.

9. martin

martin Banned Forever

i am pretty sure it is illegal to convert those tunes to a non-copy protected format. of course not all of your music is necessarily DRM'd but i would assume that at least some of it is, and is therefore restricted to using through itunes/ipod, even though you bought it. dont be a theif.

there are programs that do this, like:

Convert M4P and AAC iTunes Music Files, iTunes AAC and M4P File Converter - DRM Conversion to MP3, WAV, WMA, OGG

but as it says:

"Is it possible to "convert" protected AAC or M4P files from iTunes and other similar sources? Technically, no. It is illegal to circumvent the protection on the format in order to convert AAC and M4P files that are protected. However, there are many legitimate reasons for wanting to convert these protected files, and many feel they should be able to do so. The Blaze Media Pro software features a solution for this."

10. red55

I can make MP3 files of all my CD library obviously. I can also make audio CD's of even the copy-protected files. Again the idea is not to keep you from making backup copies (which you can) or personal copies to use in other media (which you can). It is to keep you from distributing perfect digital master copies of these data.