Squirrel Hunting???

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Sep 29, 2011.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Now that's what I like. I work with kids and before I had my own I used to take boys, who had absentee dads, hunting. Nothing like seeing a youngen kill his first duck, etc. I ran into one the other day that I hadn't seen in YEARS and that the first thing he mentioned was "That hunt" I took him on.

Let us know how many he got. Tell his dad about TF.

2. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

Wind made it a little less than perfect but he got 8.....out of about 30 shots:) but he had a blast. Of course he thinks he killed about 20 with the ones that we shot once they got to far him to get em. Hadn't bought 410 shells in a while and those suckers have gotten crazy expensive. Buddy has pics i will post when he sends em to me.

3. jvalhenson

Actually this is the only 1 I can post. All the other pics have his son in them and he doesn't want his picture posted on a public forum for whatever reason. Don't quit get it since his wife puts pics on Facebook every day but its his kid so his call. Says bc their Facebook is set to private. I don't really know how private it is since I don't have a Facebook and have no desire to do it. Anyways....here about 3/4s of em.
    [​IMG]

KyleK likes this.
  4. LSUTiga

I don't do/can't stand facebook but I certainly understand someone not wanting to post pictures of their kid. Thanks for sharing. That's really incredible. The squirrels must do significant damage to the pecan crop. You could probably get special permission to shoot over you limit. You may not be able to keep them under those circumstances though so 8 a day can add up in a hurry- plus what Mr. Green Jeans don't know don't hurt. :D

5. jvalhenson

Nah we wipe em out in just a few days. Kinda hold em in reserve really till we need/want em. Now when we actually sold pecans it was different there was no mercy. But hurricane George knocked 60 of 72 trees down. We topped em and stood em back up. All but 5 came back and were just starting to produce again when Katrina pretty well finished em off. Only about a dozen left now so not enough to be enough worth pickin up to sell anyways. We get plenty for what we need and the rest are basically squirrel bait for greys to eat and flying squirrels for pets for the kids. Lots of oaks all around too so not just the pecans but surprisingly the deer will only eat the acorns they don't touch the pecans.

6. LSUTiga

I'm not a deer hunter. Can take the meat or leave it but mainly because I can't sit still for hours. Not to mention, when I hunt, I like to shoot. Deer hunters don't shoot enough. That's just me though.

Anyway, I've had deer hunters tell me deer will pass up corn to eat acorns.

KyleK likes this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Of course they will. If you were a deer hunter you would know this.

8. LSUTiga

And if you were a deer hunter you wouldn't have to bait 'em with corn.

tirk likes this.
  9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Bow hunt, from the ground son, if you can figure out where they eat and where they sleep you don't need to bait them with anything. Just find a nice spot between the two and wait.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

deer are like women. dumb yes but also apprehensive. so they dont just normally show up. you have to deceive and bait them with almost anything. but it helps to make some effort.