Spring Game

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TBTrumpet, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Burrow started 6 games with no passing TDs. At one point went 4 straight games without a passing TD. He feisted on UCF & the OT A&M game.

I guess his upside is he was trained under Urban Meyer for 3 years. Who knows maybe with the new Brady, he could shine some. Plus he graduated college 2 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

This man's sight was better than yours
    61+48y4nhvL.png

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Actually, I agree with you that E deserves more credit for what he's accomplished, which is really my point. I don't think he's ever going to be accepted as a long-term solution at OC. His position that he didn't want the interim job 3 years ago got him off to a bad start with the fan base, so I think most still question his commitment. As for Brady, obviously he's got a lot to prove. But if you look at the spring game, it was full-blown spread formations; never a QB under center, 4 and 5 receiver sets on every single play. You've pointed out numerous times that we were very short handed at TE last year. All the more reason to commit to the spread, but we were still a traditional pro-set offense most of the time.

Bottom line is this, and I'm talking about perception, not performance. Fair or not, I believe for most fans, Ensminger represents a final holdover to the bad old days of antique offense. He's simply not a 21st century offense type of guy. If we light people up this year, I'll be more than happy to give him the credit he's due. But I think most of the fan base won't see it that way.

4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

Steve is what he was at Clemson and auburn, etc.

If the offense is vastly improved then you thank joe brady

5. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Thanks for this well written reply I did read it and appreciate it. However so very much you forget or just not aware of.

1. E had no spring to work with Burrow and Brennan had an injury during spring. 2 QB's transfered and we only had walk on QB's in reserve. Did you really expect E to implement all he wanted to with Burrow on the fly during the season?
    2. Our OL the first 7 games never started the same 5 guys and was short handed and not very experienced. Did you expect the offense to be up to standards considering that handicap? Did you expect the passing game to be effective with little time to throw the ball?
    3. We were average at best at RB which hurt the passing game to.
    4. Having one TE also hampered our offense in the passing game and running game.
    5. Our WR's were mostly new and not experienced last year. If the spring game proved anything its that we have a good and deep recieving group now. Add to this E had a bowl game and a whole spring to work with Burrow and the WR's.
    6. Lastly unless you are on the coaching staff and involved in the spring offensive game planning how do you know what you saw in the spring game wasn't E's plan? Really how do you know it was Brady and not E?

BTW way what is a 21st century guy?

6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I and you have no idea what Brady has done. You on the coaching staff and know something I don't?

7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Go back to my previous post, and there's a 3-word phrase that covers your 1-5....."perception, not performance." I"m evaluating what I believe the fan base thinks about E, not what he's done with what he's had to work with. I accept and have mentioned a few times myself the roadblocks he faced last year. 6 - Eaux said when Brady was hired that he would be installing schemes brought by Brady from the Saints, though play calling would remain in E's hands. 21st century guy = spread offense.

8. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

#wastedeffort

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Does Clemson and Bama have 21st century offenses?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

#scarecrow