Spring Football Starts Today (Brian Kelly press conference)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by MobileBengal, Mar 24, 2022.

1. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Yep, I remember thinking he was the guy who really took advantage of the opportunity. Wonder what the real story is behind his leaving?

2. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

From ToS, new staff switched him from nickle to DB on buried chart and no scholly (prev staff may have promised). Is what it is, wish him luck.

shane0911 and mctiger like this.
  3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Some excerpts from Brody Miller's article at the Athletic (it's a pay site, so don't want to copy/paste the whole thing):

The pressure comes from the left, so Myles Brennan takes off running right as LSU’s massive defensive line chases him. It’s the first fully live play of the Tigers’ 11-on-11 scrimmage Saturday, and Brennan sees something. He rolls into stride and plants his feet to launch the ball 60-some yards downfield.

Jaray Jenkins may have slightly needed to slow down, but the ball still floats right into his arms between two LSU defensive backs for an easy 65-yard touchdown against the first-team defense.

Brennan looked sharp throughout the day. The sixth-year senior seemed the most balanced and effective of the quarterback bunch. Obviously, there was the aforementioned 65-yard touchdown, but on the next play, Brennan fit a laser pass into a tight window between two defenders to Chris Hilton who made the tough grab. For the most part, Brennan made quick decisions while again leading LSU into the red zone the next drive.

There was one time during the one-on-one drill in which Arizona State transfer Jayden Daniels was told to sprint to the right and hit a receiver on the run in the front right corner of the end zone. Denbrock called it “Montana.” Daniels’ throw was wobbly and slightly behind the receiver. Brennan was asked to do the same thing, and he hit Hilton right in stride with a tight spiral in the corner for a score.

Garrett Nussmeier might not be considered a frontrunner for the starting quarterback job, but he still looks like a major player to watch. He throws the best actual ball of the four, fitting several perfectly placed passes with velocity and touch into tight corners by the pylon. Nussmeier has often been described as raw, and that might be accurate, but he looks like a player.

One of the more fun battles of the day was [Mason] Smith versus sophomore guard Xavier Hill. Hill took first-team left guard reps (Tre’Mond Shorts was out), which was a slight surprise, but then we saw him dominate multiple defensive linemen in the one-on-ones. After he kept winning, he eventually went against Smith who got the best of him. Offensive line coach Brad Davis quickly gave some animated feedback and told them to go at it again. This time, Hill completely stuffed Smith. A similar situation happened again during the pass rush session, with Smith using a good finesse move to get by him the first time with ease only for Hill to counter back with a win in the second rep.

Highly-touted FIU transfer Miles Frazier has surprisingly remained with the second-team line at right tackle, with Cam Wire and Marcus Dumervil at the first-team tackle spots.

kcal likes this.
  4. MobileBengal

Defense looks to be primarily a 3-3-5, with the first unit looking like:

DE - Maason Smith
    NT - Jacobian Guillory
    DE - Ali Gaye

Will - BJ Ojulari
    Mike - Mike Jones
    Sam - Greg Penn

CB - Jarrick Bernard-Converse
    FS - Jay Ward (Langlois had been taking 1st team reps when Ward was out)
    SS - Joe Foucha
    NB - Greg Brooks
    CB - Mekhi Garner (6'2", 215 LBs...beast at CB)

First Team offense:

LT - Cam Wire
    LG - Tre'Mond Shorts
    C - Charles Turner (freshman Fitzgerald West running with the 2s and impressing)
    RG - Kardell Thomas
    RT - Marcus Dumerville
    TE - Jack Mashburn

QB - Myles Brennan

RB - John Emery

WR - Kayshon Boutte
    WR - Jach Bech
    WR - Jaray Jenkins

Probably still a lot of movement here, Kelly said they aren't really even thinking about a depth chart yet, that will come next week. So take it for what it's worth - not a whole lot.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
    Perple, kcal and shane0911 like this.
  5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

@MobileBengal I don't see Guillory beating out Roy, but other than that, looks good!

MobileBengal likes this.
  6. MobileBengal

Subject to change, of course, but apparently Guillory has been getting first team reps and looking good.

Perple and mctiger like this.
  7. Perple

Perple Founding Member

What is your gut feeling about who is the Starting QB when we play Bama, A&M & maybe Auburn?

My opinion is Daniels due to his experience. If not Daniels, I think Nuss, if he hasn't portaled. Not sure where the Nuss to portal rumors started. The only QB we currently have who's portaled is Myles Brennen, reeled back in with NiL $$.

Just can't see Myles finishing a season or handling a strong pass rush without an injury.

Hoping Kelly can keep Nuss from the portal, as I believe he has the skills to be a very good starting SEC QB.

8. MobileBengal

Everyone has been saying Daniels is struggling with accuracy and even throwing a good ball. He can't seem to throw a spiral so far. I have a feeling Nuss is going to end up being the backup. Myles is ahead of everyone right now, but you're right, he hasn't proven he can stay healthy. He's had a couple of freak things happen to him, but still.

Perple likes this.
  9. Perple

Perple Founding Member

I don't know, I heard Daniels went 11 for 11 in passing not too long ago & has left our secondary grasping air on his runs.

But your right, Myles is the hometown boy & fan favorite. I think he'll probably take the first snap against FSU. Although Densbrock has to make the final decision.

But when you look at experience, Daniels 6,000+ passing yards in 3 years starting, to Brennen's 1,700 yards passing in 5 years, it's not really close.

Daniels has never not been the starter, so far.

I like the roster, but QB I'm not sure about. I think Nuss would do great as the backup.

Regardless of who starts, Boutte & Jenkins are going to make the QB look good!

Daniels beating UCLA last year 42-23

Last edited: Apr 4, 2022
  10. Perple

Perple Founding Member

Josh White LB has transferred to Baylor & Dave Aranda.