Spencer Region to AU

Discussion in 'College Recruiting' started by Deceks7, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

I guess this one counts as a head to head:

Alabama lands lineman commit for 2011 class | TuscaloosaNews.com
    Alabama lands lineman commit for 2011 class

By Andrew Bone Special to The Tuscaloosa News Published: Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 12:07 p.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 12:07 p.m.
    The University of Alabama picked up a big commitment Saturday when Spencer Region announced his college decision.

#forumnumcom h6 {width:250px;float:left;margin:18px 10px 0 0;padding:10px 0 15px;border-bottom:none;border-top:9px solid #888}

The 6-foot-6, 350-pound prospect from Cullman High School is a member of the Scout.com 300 watch list for the class of 2011.

"I am going to Alabama," Region said. "My family knew that's where I wanted to go. They thought it was a good idea. Coach (Nick) Saban said to commit if I wanted to.
    "Coach Saban was really excited. He said he has big plans for me. I mean a lot to the recruiting class. I am a big offensive lineman who moves well. I am physical, and that's what he loves.
    "This is a dream come true. Ever since I was little I have always wanted to run out of the tunnel at Bryant Denny."

Region was in Tuscaloosa last weekend for Junior Day when he picked up a scholarship offer from Alabama.

But then the prepared articles had to be trashed:

Spencer Region, a big offensive lineman from Cullman, commits to ... | Tide Source - al.com

The intense 2010 recruiting battle between Alabama and Auburn already has carried over into the Class of 2011.
    While the ink still dries on 2010 letters of intent that were signed Wednesday, Alabama already is building its class of 2011, and it hoped to get a commitment today from one of the state's top junior offensive linemen.
    However, Spencer Region, a 6-foot-6, 340-pound junior offensive lineman from Cullman High School, announced that he will sign next year with Auburn.
    Region picked the Tigers over Alabama, Ole Miss and Wake Forest.

So will sabear want this guy to honor his word, or is that just a one way street? Time for him to step up and be a leader by example...

Scarbinsky: How about a new Saban Rule? I commit, I come; I commit, you quit | Scarblog - al.com

"There is an old saying, ‘If you’re shopping, then we should shop.’ It shouldn’t be that way, but when guys make commitments and then don’t stick up for them, then you kind of get stuck a little bit because there may be other guys that you didn’t recruit, that you could have recruited, that could have actually taken their place.
    "I wish there was a better way, but there is not. We’ll just have to manage it and keep recruiting guys and do the best we can with them."
    Ah, but there is a better way, and Saban suggested it, and it sounded a lot like what mothers and fathers have been telling their children for centuries.
    Your word should be your bond.
    In the recruiting world, your commitment, even if it’s verbal, should end your recruitment. You don’t continue to pursue other schools, and they don’t continue to pursue you.

2. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Think how many more articles we should have on this young fellows decision making skills by this time next year.

3. Deceks7

Deceks7 Founding Member

Believe me, I know it is far from over. There is a lot of work to do until next Feb. Just never thought I would see the day when a hat switch in Cullman favored AU. I wasn't even paying attention to this one and was caught completely unaware.

This calls for a good cup of coffee.

4. TUSKtimes

TUSKtimes Riding the Wave

Good day for a hot one around Auburn, nothing but rain.

Saban's Coach speak is a powerful force in SEC society. Frankly, all these coach's sound like a good used car salesman to me.