SPACE FORCE!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by watson1880, Aug 10, 2018.

1. watson1880

watson1880 Founding Member

We still can't send a man into space without Russia, so maybe more focus does need to be on this topic.

Anyway, I am for it if we Mobile Infantry out of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kcal and shane0911 like this.
  2. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

i actually like the new 'Space Force'. Zero to non-earth gravity conditions, and other variables, offer significant complexities in any operation. As time goes we'll be venturing, exploring, to eventually colonizing the moon and planets. Loads of R&D will come out of this and spill into regular industry, as loads of military R&D has. I love it, getting way ahead of the curve here.

As an aside, would sex be better at at zero G? I would think not, gravity is essential to a good pounding. But we would weigh about 10% less on Venus, and about 2.5X on Jupiter. Venus would be interesting.

watson1880 likes this.
  3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Except that the atmosphere on Venus is poisonous to humans. You'd be dead before the foreplay got rolling.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

It’s more than just poisonous. You would be crushed and essentially cremated before you were poisoned to death because of the atmospheric pressure and absurd heat. Venus is the hottest planet in the solar system on the surface.

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Terrible idea. Massive additional overhead for zero gain in capability. Keep it in the air force, or per sci fi, in the navy. We need to operate and dominate in space, but a massive new command, with accompanying overhead, is not the way to go.

I noticed congressmen from both TN and AL spoke highly of the plan. They must anticipate the HQ at Huntsville, or at least additional $$ flowing into Huntsville.

watson1880 likes this.
  6. HalloweenRun

And .. you don't need a new command for increased R&D. In fact, at the 30,000 foot view, the new command would siphon dollars that could be spent, otherwise on R&D. The Air Force ought to eat this up, since drones and missiles are rapidly "extincting" the USE OF MANNED aircraft.

watson1880 likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I have been enjoying what SpaceX has been doing. If you haven’t seen this it’s the most incredible thing I’ve ever seen. I have to see this in person before I die. I talk a lot of shit about the private sector but dammit, private sector has come through.

Bengal B likes this.
  8. HalloweenRun

I watch every one. You are right, the dual landing was way, way beyond awesome. What is also great is that their commentary has improved, greatly, over time. It was pretty lame, at first. Plus, I like the graphic that shows what events are coming up. My favorite is "Max Q, or maximum dynamic pressure..." I think those guys get their inner scientist on, saying "Max Q."

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  9. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Any colony would have to be in an artificial biosphere city, where breathable air and temperatures are controlled. Mars & the Moon would be the first targets for these surface biosphere cities. Mars, like Venus, is about 90% of the earth's gravity, so totally 'doable'. Colonies targeting Saturn or Jupiter, or the asteroid belt, would be orbiting space station type cities, where available resources would sustain the colonies.
    The Space Force will undoubtedly produce a lot of the the technology to allow humans to migrate throughout the solar system.

10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best