South Carolina shootings

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Jun 19, 2015.

1. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

Man I'm thinking that if we have to carry guns to church or to any place else because you never know if a clownass is going to start shooting the place up, then maybe we are going backwards in time.

StaceyO, shane0911 and Winston1 like this.
  2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

How about Bobby Jindal our dumb ass governor saying Obama's speech on this was shameful and he was trying to score cheap political points. Is that his answer for everything. He is a fucking parrot. So the President who is supposed to speak about tragic events like this in his lame duck sunset, is trying to score cheap political points, but Jindal who is running for President isn't by saying this?

Bobby Jindal please click this link...

Winston1 likes this.
  3. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

good points and some of the same questions I've been asking myself today. obviously there are people who kill for other reasons that mental illness. bar fights sometimes end up in murder. jealous husbands find their wife with another man and kill'em both. people get jacked up on crystal meth and rob a pharmacy and end up killing someone in the process. shit happens sometimes. I am talking more about the mass murderers or serial killers like Dahmer or these kids who keep shooting up innocents.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

So we make it more tough for them and make it easier to identify them. We can't allow difficulty to lead us to apathy,

5. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

I know this topic is one of your most passionate topics. I don't know much about what constitutes mental illness and when it can be used as a cause for an action. You have said before that there are tons of people out there that slip through the system because of lack of funding and support. Storm Roof never was in a system.

If we are talking about mental illness in this situation, how does it get identified and an action taken? This is a huge question for me. (although I think he did this on his own malicious will)

Tiger in NC likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Lots of thoughts here. For starters, he had been recently identified by local mall workers when he started asking questions about staffing levels. The police were called and he was banned by the mall for a short period of time. When he returned prior to the end of the ban, the police were called and when they searched his pockets, he was carrying strips laced with suboxone which is a habit-forming drug that has been connected with sudden outbursts of aggression. He was arrested and the mall banned him for a year. That case was still being decided but clearly he had been at least initially "identified".

I read an account of this person by his uncle. He was known to the family as being a loner, reclusive, and had begun to detach himself. The uncle had talked to the father about his increasing "abnormal" behavior. This is a kid who stayed in his room all the time, had no friends, no driver's license, and no job. Alarm bells should have been going off. In a different segment of society, this is the type of kid being recruited online by isis.

I imagine this individual will be revealed as having something under the ADHD umbrella or on the autism spectrum which may or may not have combined with some type of mental illness. He is so much like the other younger-type males who have committed mass murders....Adam Lanza, Elliott Roger, Dylan Klebold, Eric Harris. Incident post mortems almost always sound identical. The parents talk about how they still lived at home, never went out, had violent tendencies at least in conversation, did not maintain friendships, spent hours alone in a room, etc. In Roger's case, the parents had sort of tried to get him help but as is typical, they refer to a doctor and then wipe their hands of it. The police had even been notified about his violent tendencies but they didn't investigate far enough. It is SO difficult as a parent to admit there is something really wrong with your child, to admit you can't fix it yourself, or to imagine that your own offspring could commit such horrible acts.

Even Eddie Ray Routh and others like him with PTSD, had parents who tried multiple times to get help or have their child hospitalized but the funding was not there. We should probably wonder why this type of thing doesn't happen more often.

Tiger in NC and red55 like this.
  7. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

In one situation help was sought but no one gave him any. The other, no help was sought. How will law enforcement make a determination that someone needs help or if they are just having a bad month? How does the medical community determine that? How many people have to undergo psychological evaluations after causing a disturbance at a mall? And finally, how do we help people not seeking help when we can't help the ones seeking it.

This is such a massive topic. Not like gun control where it is either this way or that way.

mobius481 likes this.
  8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Massive indeed. And even gun control has many, many gray areas. It's not a black and white thing either.

The rest of the worlds looks at this and says "Only in America, with their shoot 'em up cowboy ideals and cheap guns growing on trees".

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I don't think we should all be punished because there are crazy people who can attain firearms. At some point down the line once that gate is opened the more the government will take. When it comes to our freedoms we should NEVER budge.

HalloweenRun, StaceyO, tirk and 2 others like this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Then the rest of the world is full of shit.

Je suis Charlie.
    Oslo, 2011-77 killed
    Czech Republic, Feb 2015-9 killed
    Erfurt, Germany, 2002-16 dead
    Serbia, April 2013-13 killed
    Britain, 2010-12 killed
    Belgorod, Russia, 2013-6 killed
    Rio, 2013-12 killed
    China, 2014-29 killed
    Ottowa, 2014-2 killed

"those who study mass shootings say they are not becoming more common.

"There is no pattern, there is no increase," says criminologist James Allen Fox of Boston's Northeastern University, who has been studying the subject since the 1980s, spurred by a rash of mass shootings in post offices.

The random mass shootings that get the most media attention are the rarest, Fox says. Most people who die of bullet wounds knew the identity of their killer.

Society moves on, he says, because of our ability to distance ourselves from the horror of the day, and because people believe that these tragedies are "one of the unfortunate prices we pay for our freedoms."

Grant Duwe, a criminologist with the Minnesota Department of Corrections who has written a history of mass murders in America, said that while mass shootings rose between the 1960s and the 1990s, they actually dropped in the 2000s. And mass killings actually reached their peak in 1929, according to his data. He estimates that there were 32 in the 1980s, 42 in the 1990s and 26 in the first decade of the century.

Chances of being killed in a mass shooting, he says, are probably no greater than being struck by lightning.

Still, he understands the public perception — and extensive media coverage — when mass shootings occur in places like malls and schools. "There is this feeling that could have been me. It makes it so much more frightening."

I still say it's a miracle that it doesn't happen far more often. The mental health system is very broken and the amount of meds dispensed is beyond definition.

Bengal B likes this.