South Carolina shootings

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by red55, Jun 19, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Oh it's a hate crime. Dude admitted he was trying to kill black people.

2. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

He is unrepentant and the victim's families are forgiving him. That is very powerful. I don't know if I would have the strength to forgive. But that forgiveness, in a way, destroys what he tried to accomplish.

LSUTiga, StaceyO, mctiger and 2 others like this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Some of the religious conservative talking heads are trying to say the people were killed because it was an attack on Christianty. Give me a friggin' break. I know that this is a right wing mantra, that we must defend Christianity, but those people were not shot because they were Christian.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

What I saw weren't conservatives saying that but white supremecists. They are trying to distance their groups from the shooting.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I know. I am saying that religious conservatives are also trying to paint this as an attack on Christianity.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  6. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

And some are saying that if people were allowed to carry guns in church then this could have been prevented. I'm not buying that either.

StaceyO likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Whether guns are allowed in church or not, and in places where it's legal to conceal carry with a license it wouldn't be against the law, most people are not going to bring their guns to church.

Tiger in NC likes this.
  8. mancha

mancha Alabama morghulis

And the Confederate Flag flying at full staff in the SC capitol. The flag has got to go. Yeah I know it is a symbol of the south and pride and all of that crap but it is a symbol of racism also. It is a symbol of what happened Wednesday.

LSUMASTERMIND and StaceyO like this.
  9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

It's been kind of sad to watch the two major media outlets trying to spin this thing. MSNBC says it's purely racism. FOX says it was driven by a hatred of Christianity. The kid obviously had some racial animosity but plenty of people have racial animosity but never commit an act of violence. The same could be said for people who do not like Christianity, or any other organized religion. The truth is that this is yet another mentally ill male in his early 20's who have committed mass acts of terror against the people in their most vulnerable places: church, school.....a movie theater. I am waiting for the gun debate to begin, and make no mistake we need an honest debate about where we draw the lines with guns, but before that we need to establish a means of identifying troubled youth like this kid and how to get them help or get them institutionalized. In order to accomplish this we will have to shrug off the common themes that arise during times like these: guns, racism, religious persecution......and have an honest and thoughtful conversation about what we want for our society. The last time I checked these gunmen weren't passing out questionnaires to find out who were Republicans or Democrats before killing their victims so this is a problem for all of us, collectively. When I swore into the military I swore to protect the constitution from all threats, foreign and domestic. This is not unique to me as ever other person who has ever served has sworn that same oath. Furthermore, when a congressman or woman takes their oath, they swear to do the same. We are currently losing more Americans to domestic terror perpetuated by the mentally ill than we are losing in all of our foreign forays combined. To be clear, I am not advocating a big'ole government agency tasked with the mentally ill in our country, but a combined effort on the part of every day citizens, law enforcement, mental health professionals in the public and private sector.
    One thing I have noted that makes me feel hopeful: The people in Charleston are not rioting or looting or placing blame on someone else. The victims families have offered their forgiveness to the shooter and the community as a whole seems to be coming together. It will take just that if we are to address the issue of mental health in America and take steps to reduce this kind of senseless murder.

Winston1 likes this.
  10. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

true, I saw it on FOX this morning. it was disgusting to watch them try and spin this as an assault on christianity