Sous Vide

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Robidoux87, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Anybody ever tried the sous vide method of cooking?

Basically, the idea is to heat a container of water to the desired internal temperature of the meat you're cooking, and keep it there. You cook your meat in a sealed ziploc bag, slowly (1-3 hours), and then finish with a sear.

I'd heard and read about it, so I decided to give it a try. I bought this device which was on sale for $129.

It really does cook some of the juciest meat I've ever tasted. Perfectly cooked all the way through, to whatever temperature you want. The best part of it all is that you can leave your house while your meat is cooking - I'm a busy working father, so anything that puts more time/flexibility into my day is a huge plus.

By no means is this as fun as BBQ-ing, or making a nice gumbo from scratch. But it's easy (overcooking is virtually impossible), and delivers the goods.

Read more if interested here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/...e-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LSUTiga likes this.
  2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

My cousing swears by it. I've had the steaks and they're great. I may buy one some day but I enjoy grilling steaks and don't generally plan even a couple of hours ahead.

3. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

so is it like a combination of a slow cooker with a saucepan? Sorry, didn't read the link, I may tomorrow when I'm not seeing two of everything.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

not really. Your food is vacuum sealed so it doesn't actually touch the water it's in. The water is just water, nothing else. You can season inside what you vacuum seal if you want but you gain no flavor by cooking. You're strictly just cooking it.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The video shows how to do it with a cooler. I have one of those round 5 gallon drinking water coolers that would be perfect. All I would need to buy is a thermometer to make sure the water temperature is right.