Solo canoe trip 9/1...

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by Fishhead, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Don't it just piss you off?? :wave:
    -
    I didn't even take the canoe off the truck, so since everything was already hooked up...I decided to make a quick trip yesterday back to the Reggio Marsh.
    -
    Weather? Beautiful temps in the morning...and low humidity. But a north wind was blowing pretty good. Nothing like last Thursday, but more than I would like. (anything over 4 mph is more than I like!) Tide was falling out really hard...like someone pulled the plug on the Gulf! For some reason, I couldn't buy a bite early on...and didn't really see any activity to indicate it was gonna get better. After catching and releasing 2 13" fish in 2+ hours, I was seriously contemplating heading in. I decided to anchor and eat lunch, then decide what to do.
    -
    While sitting there, I tied on a spinnerbait. Pretty popular lure for redfishing, but I almost NEVER tie one on. Anyway, after I got it tied on, I made a cast on a shoreline just for kicks, and made about 3 cranks before the lure was hammered! About a 22" fish for the icechest. I made a couple more casts, then decided to drift that shoreline. I went about 10 minutes, then caught a 25"+ fish for the box. I thought it was about to get good! But after that, I went about 25 minutes with nothing and decided to paddle across a little bay to try a place that looked pretty good from where I was.
    -
    When I got to the other side, there was an area with a lot of broken marsh that looked promising, and I actually saw a few fish "pushing" as I paddled in. They were there, but they weren't smelling what I was stepping in. Finally, I saw one bust some bait along a point, and made a cast. I didn't land it on his head or anything, but it spooked him pretty bad. I had a topwater on another rod, and decided to throw it WAY past him and walk it his way. He likee! So number 3 was in the box, and at that point, I decided I was going home with my 5 fish limit.
    -
    However, it completely shut down after that. I fished about another hour, then decided to head in...hoping to pick up some bass on the paddle back. Didn't happen. Right before the marina, there is a little cut into the marsh...so slim that the canoe rubbed on both sides. I decided to check it out, figuring VERY few people could possibly ever fish it. No real boat can access it, and I've never seen anyone else down there in a canoe or kayak. When I went in, I realized it was gonna be hard to manuever in there...as there were downed trees and stumps all over the place...some barely submerged, some not even submerged. It looked fishy, but more like a place you'd find bass. I decided to go to the back of the "pond" and let the wind push me down the eastern shoreline. It didn't take long and I had #4! Cool thing is, the water was SO clear in there, I was the fish coming from a long way off...and he CRUSHED it. (spinner) So I decided to paddle back to the north end...but drift down the western shoreline this time. I saw a lot of gar, but no reds. I went all the way to the southern end of the west shore, and noticed that there was a lot less grass in the water. I decided to break out the spoon again and try it. Made the first cast with the spoon, and it was the last cast of the day...as my limit was now done. Put #5 in the box and paddled the remaining 2 minutes to the launch! (Figured out a new place to boot...no need to paddle any farther, IMO!)
    -
    No action shots today, but here are some photos from the trip.
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Get your azz back to work. You're killing me.

3. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

That gas powered red on top musta fought like a sumbitch!

And ditto what SF said!

Thanks for the pics!

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

anyone else get the feeling that hes the type of sumbitch that woulda called it a day long before if not wanting to rub it in tf's collective face.

well done, *******.

5. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

:wave:
    Long time coming, IMO. Mainly, it's revenge for Nootch...he was rubbin' it in when I was out of state for 14 months! Don't worry...I'll only be home another 12 days...then back to Dallas.:bncry:

6. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

yeah, I kinda figured you were up to something

and I'll still be surrounded by fertile fishing territory.:thumb:

7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I sure hope not as surrounded as you were LAST year at this time!

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

well, at least I could fish from my front porch if I wanted to.

9. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

Nice story and catch. Did that larger on pull your canoe around?

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Not too bad. In the kayak though? Most fun with clothes on! Cajun sleigh rides, baby!