Republicans So now that the Republicans were VOTED in control of congress

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUpride123, Nov 6, 2014.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Don't be naive. Politics is serious dirty adult business. Any party that thinks a small lead means that they can pass their entire agenda is seriously fucked up. The pendulum always swings the other way sooner or later and six years of obstructionist politics is not going to buy them any sympathy from the Democrats. They will obstruct in turn. Successful governments compromise to get shit done. The Tea Party's all-or-nothing agenda is a millstone around the Republicans neck hindering them from making any meaningful compromises.

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

You should watch out. If you back peddle anymore, you just might fall off that cliff.

3. red55

Your reading comprehension is a bit off today.

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Your bias is showing.

5. red55

True, I do not suffer fools gladly.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Its ok to support obstructionism. Just let it out dude.

tirk likes this.
  7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Here's why the President should compromise with Congress:

Be a leader, Mr. President. Lead by example. You don't have to give away everything, but you have to give something. That's Negotiating 101.

8. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

To be clear, I agree with you. That said, has this same impetus not been on the Republicans for the past 6 years? Like I said, I agree that our politicians should work together in the best interest of the American people, but that onus burdens the shoulders of both parties.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Not to the same degree. The GOP held a simple majority in the House. The Dems controlled the Senate and the White House. They were in a far greater position to get things done with only a token compromise from Republicans, who could do nothing more than get bills passed in the Senate. The Dems wouldn't even allow such bills to come to a vote in the Senate.

But let's say for a second that I agree with you 100%. So how long do we accept finger pointing and "Hey, they started it?" When do the parties get to moving the country forward and stop worrying about destroying the other side at all cost? Isn't that kind of change a leadership function? Who's supposed to provide leadership first from Washington? And did I just use the word "change?" Who's mantra is that?

10. red55

Nothing will change until a third party emerges between these two polarized, hyper-partisan, ideological, nearly useless political parties. For this to happen, the gerrymandering of districts every 10 years must end plus the winner-take-all electoral college system and the primary elections need to go, too.

tirk and uscvball like this.