So Far, Saban Owns Alabama

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by ROY_LA_CA, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ROY_LA_CA

ROY_LA_CA Founding Member

What would it cost to fire Saban? Four Million a year for how many years...!!! Throw in that his assistants are also highly paid and it looks like Saban Owns Alabama for better or for worse. Amen

2. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

TA DA!! Give the man a ceeegar! The Bama Nation is forced to to be patient. As deep as the pockets are at Bama, we can't afford to pony up $32,000,000 for anyone to boat off into the sunset. Even if we could, that would be the end of serious football at Bama. Look at it like Siamese twins, the surgery to separate them would be death to one. It would be suicide for the Bama program not to be patient.

3. tboy

tboy Founding Member

Auburn has been taking about 12 recruits a year from a combination of FLA, GA and to a lesser extent TN for the last few years. The state of Alabama has more 4 star players, as ranked by rivals, than La this year. It had less 4 star players last year. I expect Auburn to lose more recruits to Saban than they lost to Shula, but it will not affect them as much as many people think because they are already established in FLA and GA heavily and will just take a few more kids from that area and other states.

4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

This post is wrong on so many different levels.

It wasn't Bama who was at fault for the sanctions. It was a booster, who had been out of control for years. It was an over zealous NCAA investigator who circumvented the laws which the NCAA had in place. Laws the NCAA instituted. But then again, one of the "excuses" so many have for losing to Bama so many years is to try to claim cheating.

Saban's national reputation is far from being shot. You won't find a legitimate football fan, or a football writer, who will say anything other than he's a great coach. In fact, you used to say it here until he decided to coach in the SEC again.

The statement that no one else in the country would take the job when Shula was hired is wrong, simply wrong. Hell, Les Miles wanted the job along with a lot of other coaches around the NCAA including names like Tommy Bowden, Frank Beamer, etc. I could go on, and on with the names, but then again, you wouldn't put it to memory I'm sure.

Bama ate their own, eh? Shula wasn't cut out for a head coaching job. He lost control the team, period. That's the reason he was fired. Plain and simple.

Remember, there is no buy out. If he isn't coaching, he isn't getting paid. I realize several writers have used the term "a guaranteed 32 million dollar contract." Much like they have said he's getting paid 4 million a year. Fact's are, he's getting 2.75 million this year as a start plus incentives. If he fulfills his 8 years, then he'll get the 32 million.

A writer in South Carolina put up and editorial the other day about what he's looking at if he coaches 8 years. He put it this way, "Alabama will pay 32 million if he coaches 8 years. Some ask why? The answer is, because they can."

Hell, the amount on monetary increases we are seeing in booster donations, etc. has the Ath. Dir. already talking to different companies about expanding the stadium again and closing in the south endzone.

Before you start commenting on what the assistant coaches are getting paid, perhaps you should look where they came from, what they were successful doing, and you'll quickly see they deserve the money they are making.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I'm going to assume that you don't have anything to back that up... because Miles was not interested in the Bama job, and I don't think that many other coaches were either.

6. XXL TideFan

XXL TideFan Founding Member

I remember reading that Miles was one(prior to shula) that was campaigning for the job. Schiano of Rutgers was reported to be burning up the phone lines prior to Saban being hired. Remember Butch Davis stating that he wanted to see what happened at Alabama this past season.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Yes, I have something to back it up. It's called sources within the Athletic Department. In fact, Miles applied for the job when Shula was hired and when fRan was hired. Beamer contacted the school twice, as did a list of others.

You can doubt what I'm saying here if you want. But, this information is coming from Asst. Athletic Directors among others.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

You are wrong on Schiano. It was a rumor, but a false one.

While Davis did say that, he wasn't considered after he accepted the job a few years ago and then decided he wanted to take the Browns job.

9. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I do not doubt that Miles wanted the job when Shula got it. You were specifically referring to the job after Shula was fired, at which point Miles was coach at LSU & had NO interest in the Alabama job.

The post that I replied to was very specifically talking about after Shula was fired. These coaches wanting the job at other intervals in time is irrelevent.

10. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

I dont think he was talking about when Saban got it. He says when Shula was hired.

I remember Miles being in the media when Shula and Price were hired, but did not know if it was serious or not. They always had Miles, Rodriguez, Tommy Bowden, and Beamer as Bama's "targets."