So far, questionable moves made to get under the cap

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints Forum' started by fanatic, Mar 9, 2015.

1. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

The Saints said they wouldn't be afraid to make some changes and that they wouldn't sit back and just make a few tweaks. No one player that was lost is irreplaceable. Thomas was making a lot of money for being a part time player. Lofton was a liability in pass coverage. Graham is a tremendous talent, but he's supposedly causing locker issues with him not letting go of the fact that he didn't get paid as a receiver. The Saints walk away with maneuverability under the cap when just a week ago they were $20 million over it. They have two first round draft picks that they can use on two good players or package to move up and get one special player. Graham's production will be more than taken care of with a combination of Colston, Watson and Hill. They add the one of the centers in the league, immediately giving the Saints the best interior offensive line again and making Grubbs, Evans and Brees better players.

Brees' contract is a non-issue. They can convert his money and spread it across the life of his contract or pay it all now. Loomis wants to get the biggest hit over with now, giving them flexibility down the road. As Mike Triplett put it, they don't have salary cap issues. They have 7-9 issues.

These are all great moves. Of the moves made, I am most skeptical about dropping Lofton. I am assuming that he refused to change his contract, which makes the Saints' reaction understandable.

Tramon Williams and Brandon Browner are supposedly the Saints' biggest targets at CB. I think they need them both.

tirk likes this.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Rumor has it (and that's all this is, I have zero way to confirm) that the players want the ole lady to have control of the team because she's hand's off and will let the professionals do their jobs. Rita Benson Leblanc thinks she's Bill Polian and would make decisions contrary to the benefit of the team.

3. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Suppose anything is possible but was pretty sure Daughter was one who hired Loomis.

4. fanatic

You're probably right. I'm obviously not an insider. Just passing along, with a disclaimer about it's validity, something I read.

5. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Saints going after CJSpiller. He's been misutilized in Buffalo and would be a great fit in NO w/CSP.

6. fanatic

I'm onboard with trading Graham; especially since we have Josh Hill waiting in the wings. He may not be as great a pass catcher as Graham, but he's a way better blocker. I disagree with you on the rest. Thomas' cap hit was negligible, compared to some. If they want him to be more than a part time player, then call his number more. And, Lofton may be a liability in pass coverage, but he's the best player on a weak defense. I think they would have been better off cutting Bunkley and restructuring Jordan, like they did Gallette. Everyone on the D-line was overpaid. None played up to their contracts.

old school and tirk like this.
  7. old school

old school Veteran Member

It was idiotic to get rid of Thomas. He was our best all around back and he was cheap. He blocks better than Ingram, especially picking up blitzes. He catches better than Ingram and is great on screens. He is a better runner than Ingram because he consistently gets good yards after contact. His only sin is being older than Ingram. The oft injured Ingram is not worth 16 mil. That was a major mistake.

b_leblanc, fanatic, mobius481 and 2 others like this.
  8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

It was a mistake to trade up to get Ingram. It was a mistake to continue paying him a bloated rookie contract despite very limited production. It was a mistake to over pay him again based on one good season at a position where value has dropped drastically. I don't understand the love affair Payton has with Ingram.

b_leblanc, old school and Bengal B like this.
  9. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Roll Tide?

10. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I agree. The release of Pierre and resigining Ingram at 16 million makes no sense to me. Every down backs don't exist in the league anymore so why try to keep Ingram as that.

old school and fanatic like this.