Snowplow Parenting

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by uscvball, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

And we will end up hiring Avery Johnson.

fanatic likes this.
  2. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Sorry I was too lazy to read, but didn't they basically donate to a 'charity' established by Singer, so he gets his money and the parents get their money back by claiming it as a tax deduction?
    Normally true, but if there's one area where Uncle Sam don't play is if you fuck with his money. If the case does involve a tax scam, there could be one or two that spends some time at Club Fed. I mean, I couldn't believe the Full House lady's bail was $1m. I know she only has to pay 10% and she could easily afford it if even if she had to pay the full mil, but they don't even set bail that high for murderers and shit.

3. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Yes and no. They knew the money wasn't going to a viable charity, but rather to Singer and others who cheated on their child's behalf. The charges include fraud and conspiracy. There were tapped phone calls.

Lots of those indicted will go to jail. I'm more skeptical about the parents. Their attorneys will delay, delay, delay, ask for continuance after continuance....until the public furor has died down some. Then again, maybe they will get hit hard.

Perhaps Loughlin's bail was high in part, because she films (or did) in Canada. They might have viewed her as a flight risk.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

[​IMG]

What a douchenozzle. I'm sure the USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation had nothing to do with it. Dre and Iovine donated a $70M endowment to establish it. As if USC was gonna deny her.

watson1880 likes this.
  5. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

I know what your saying but be careful what you teach them.

Those Laughlin kids look spoiled and never lived in the real world where things don't come so easy to everyone.

If you teach Lie Cheat Steal to get what you want ( Like Alabama ) then sooner or later you get taken down cause someone gets disgruntled.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

"Someone paid $6.5 million to get his or her children into elite schools. But the identity of that parent - and details about which schools were involved - remains a mystery nearly two weeks after authorities in Boston filed the charges against dozens of wealthy individuals....

The name was not divulged," Christina Sterling, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in Boston, said in an email. "We did not tie the amount to anyone by name. That is not public."

She declined to say whether the person who paid the $6.5 million is among those already charged. But that is unlikely because the court records show that none of the other parents allegedly paid anywhere close to that amount of money."

So the idiot who paid $6.5 hasn't been charged yet? What are they waiting for?

7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Wow, 6.5 million to get their kid in school. I’m not too good in math but if someone had 6.5 million to give me I think I’d be okay without a degree.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Well, yeah, they could have gone the conventional route like Dre and donated $70M, put a name on a building.

Seriously though, it's mind-boggling why anyone would think any college degree would be worth that much money. Just send them anywhere, invest the money while they earn their degree, give them seed money upon graduation for a start-up. Something.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    LSUTiga, GiantDuckFan and CalcoTiger like this.
  9. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

you make sense

where you get your undergraduate degree is not such a big whoop,.. specific technical degrees are the exception, such as USC film school,.. but in general degrees it doesn't matter much, even getting an MIT engineering degree is insignificant compared to the actual job interview,.. getting into grad school is different, but I don't think this scandal is about grad schools

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Like I was saying.....

"Defendants in the sweeping college admissions cheating scandal began appearing in Boston court amid growing questions about how many would cooperate with authorities and which other parents could get swept up in the scandal.

Some of the parents named in the charges are under pressure from federal prosecutors to make deals, which could occur in the coming week as the defendants go to court.

Sources familiar with the case but not authorized to discuss it say several additional parents and their attorneys have been informed they are subjects of the federal inquiry.

It’s possible some of those parents could attempt to resolve those accusations before being charged."