slow slow slow couple weeks at camp

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by jvalhenson, Jan 7, 2019.

1. jvalhenson

jvalhenson Founding Member

hunted from pretty much Dec 21 to Jan 6 every day minus Christmas Eve and Day and had some bad weather heavy rain days etc of course but man this year has just been terrible for me as far as seeing deer. Plenty sign just not seeing em. Only managed to get one good one in that span and was the only 1 good buck I saw actually hunting not counting a couple just crossing a road. Of course I came home last night back to work today and suddenly they running everywhere dad and brother both killed bucks today already. One I did get was a 9 point that had some good character with a big bladed brow tine that I don't think you can see in the pics but it's about 3 inches wide and big kicker point but both his 3s were broken off. Not much tine length though even on the intact ones but beams are long and tall. Big deer at 198lbs. Very little sign of any rutting activity at all yet still which is odd they should be rolling from Christmas to about now and start slowing down but it still seems like its just getting started. necks barely swole and not stinking at all yet still. Bucks that we have killed still loaded with fat have not rutted down any at all yet. Really odd.

Attached Files:

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I have some good friends that have about 900 acres near Foxworth. They have killed about 10 so far this year. Seems like every time they go, they kill at least one good deer.

3. jvalhenson

plenty good hunting through there. Some fine women around there too........my "first" girl was from Foxworth met her in Disneyworld when we were both in 8th grade. All star sports resort while the cheerleading competition was going on ha.

KyleK likes this.
  4. KyleK

The cool thing about this family is the adults shoot very little. It's all about the kids at this point. The 5 year old shot a legit 8 point, 200 pounder a couple weeks ago. The 7 year old shot a 10 point 3 days ago, but it weighed less.

5. jvalhenson

mine are 3 6 and 8 but they aint ready to shoot yet. I always have pretty strong doubts on all the kids that young shooting. Only way that is happening is in shooting houses with low recoil guns propped up to wear the kids is basically just pulling the trigger. I am not knocking it......to each their own I just do not think that is teaching them much about hunting versus just letting them be the killer. If i had a big private land place to being doing that kinda stuff on I probably would too but those kids aint killing those deer from a climber on public land or walking in 1.5 miles an hour before daylight etc. Again I aint knocking it I just dont think I completely agree with it.

LSUTiga likes this.
  6. KyleK

I hear ya. I don't judge them because they are spending time with their kids, but that is exactly what they are doing...shooting from a "house" with the gun on a stand.

7. jvalhenson

yea i dont want to sound like I am bashing it or whatever.....like i said if i had a place that i could set them up like that I would most likely fall right into it too.......but at the same time I doubt that is gonna teach the kids much if anything at all about actually hunting. but if they always have a place like that and never have to fight it out on public ground then I guess they'll never need to ha. Have several buddies that have places where they can grow their deer and get invited to go shoot em every year but I never do. I go hang out some and drink some whiskey and watch football with em and occasionally do some squirrel thinning for em though. Just doesnt seem fun to me but then again I live on a horse farm so can also understand the gratification of watching your "livestock" turn into the best product they can. I had my 6 and 8 year olds with me for about half the day so that obviously slows down the way I normally hunt a lot. Did a lot of cutover walking and getting in on the dog hunting since I had them with me for half the time. I did kill the 10 point with them with me and the 9 I was solo hunting deep ground so cant really say they slow it down that much had plenty time solo too just not many deer to show for it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    KyleK likes this.