Since LSU's off this week....GO OUT AND VOTE!

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by TigerEducated, Oct 4, 2003.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I know this is a non-LSU sports related type of post...

But, the only thing that separates most of us from Iraqi's under Hussein's reign of terror, or millions and millions of Russians under Communism, and literally BILLIONS of Chinese in the present day, is our ability to vote representatives to our institutions of government to lead, direct, and blaze the path of our present, and our future.

Please, go out and vote...If you're not sure, go to www.wafb.com

They have a wonderful tool to help find out where you're registered to vote. Find out where you're registered, go out, and participate in the political process, as is your Constitutionally protected right.

2. TigerEducated

We might move this to another venue...

It's a quite subjective statement to say that someone might not be "educated" on the issues.

If people want to go out and vote for people that's last names start with the letter B, then that's their RIGHT. You may not like it, but then, that's a problem you need to take up with the US Constitution. It's got a few years and a few challenges behind it, so I'm sure you won't get too far there, either...

Many people go out and vote for a few issues, and then literally leave the rest of the ballot blank. I also know a few people who have gone out, waited their 3 minutes, and then just walked out, a vote of "no comment" in disgust.

To deter people from voting-for WHATEVER reason-is a totally Un-American thought. I sincerely hope you just didn't think that out before typing.

3. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

This needs to be moved entirely off of this forum. I'm all for exercising the right to vote and I, myself, do always exercise that right, but this is not the forum in which to discuss it...

4. TigerEducated

To tell someone not to vote is UnAmerican...To say that those who are uneducated should not is a totally subjective premise.

What if someone ONLY cares about the Governor's race, and doesn't plan to vote on a SINGLE issue other than that. Should they stay home because they didn't find out more about the other issues?

What level of "education" about the issues should they attain? What level is commensurate-according to YOUR subjective standards-with you saying they are "eligible" to vote?

The fallacies rife within your statement are so prevalent, they barely warrant a response, but for you to say that ANYONE should not vote based on what you feel like is a dearth or lack of issue education is not progressive. It's not smart. It's UnAmerican, and it's I-g-n-o-r-a-n-t.

Who are you to tell ANYONE what they can or cannot do with their vote?

That's right...You are NO ONE to them...and your opinion should be treated as such...

5. TigerEducated

You said that those who don't take the time to educate themselves about the candidates/issues should stay home and let those who have be the ones who vote...

Sir, whom is the arbiter of the relative levels of "education" that you personally think they should posess before they become "okay enough" in your book to be able to vote.

It was a senseless statement that had no business being added on to my plea to go out and exercise our Constitutional Rights.

I have never attacked you personally. Perhaps you should re-read your statement. A personal attack would be like saying, "You molest retarded adult males in group homes."

I have not said anything of the sort. I attacked your nonsensical and ridiculous comment. That's all. Perhaps the comment hit so close to home, you internalized the comment as being a personal attack. If this is the case, I cannot do anything to assuage your fears. Those are issues you need to either learn coping skills for or seek help in learning some.

As for your assumptions about my relative level of self importance, I can do nothing but laugh. Hell, I admitted I was wrong about a week ago when I said that Bollinger owned Avondale Shipyards. I can probably point to many times when I've been wrong on this forum, and there were will be more in the future.

I have no delusions of grandeur. You-however-do have some quirk of personality that says that anytime someone you feel beneath you attacks you for offering up a damn fool opinion (not YOU; your OPINION, learn to delineate from the two, sir), you must automatically assume they're full of themselves and are some arrogant, snot nosed boorish young man who is so busy talking, he can't listen.

Trust me, sir, your ASSUMPTIONS about my username are as offbase as your GENERALIZATIONS about my rebuttals and intentions.

The name comes from a play on words. On Tigerbait.com, I was formerly known as LSUSTUDENT. When I left and went to the Lair, I changed my handle to TigerEducated (which would infer to even the most simple of minds, one would think), meaning I attended school and received an education at LSU.

It does not mean I am overly educated. It does not mean I am pompous. It means nothing other than I'm TigerEducated. LSUEducated. Whatever. It's just the name I came up with. For you to start daisy chaining a damn username on a message board and attaching it to a pervading thought pattern or personality trait with nothing more than a cockamamey brain fart (Which you've become good at airing today, I might add!) is-again-nonsensical.

Try to remember. I attacked the OPINION for being ignorant, and told you the IDEA was Un-American. For anyone to voice that opinion or to float that idea, it's ignorant and Un-American. THE OPINIONS THEMSELVES. Do you think for one second I truly find you Un-American? Give me a break. You are grasping, and you're worse than the Media Director for Ieyoub's campaign.

You're trying to misconstrue my meaning and put words into my mouth...As if I've said here that, "This is a horse chestnut." and you want others to think that I've actually said that, "This is a chestnut horse."

Sir, your opinion on this subject, and your rationale behind it, are Un-American, and they are nonsensical. I stand by those statements, and I will continue to respond honestly and frankly the more you try to sling mud and hypocritically misconstrue my rebuttals as being personal and petty by being personal and petty.

(Sigh)

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I was wrong once too. Seems that I thought I was wrong about something but it turned out that I was right all along. Seriously I don't understand FightinTiger's attack on you for urging everybody to excercise their right to vote. Of course the ideal situation would be for every voter to be fully informed and conversant with all candidates and every issue but thats never going to happen. We all know who the major candidates are and think we know where they stand if we can filter out the truth from the lies and false promises but for the average voter to know everything about every local candidate for every elective office and every proposal and amendment is nearly impossible. About the only people who make it their business to know all about every candidate are lawyers. An attorney friend of mine once told me that he donates to both candidates in all the judges elections so that he will be in good with whoever wins. That dosen't mean that everybody shouldn't excercise their right to vote. Sometime the voters have the wool pulled over their eyes and elect people who are unqualified, incompetant or outright crooks. Other times the voters have a gut instinct and throw the bad guys out. If every voter were requiered to take a test on their knowledge of every candidate and every issure before they were allowed to vote the only people who could vote would be lawyers.