Silver Lining

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 9, 2016.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Put it to you this way. If you took the revenue the US received from regulations, it would be the world's 10th largest economy.

Edit: then, and this is the funny part, we get to subtract what it costs the US to keep up with these "regulations".

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

And you would have a bunch of poisoned water supplies too. I think the argument that needs to be made against regulations is that the regulators aren't mounting up, they are cashing out and turning a blind eye because one day they will have a nice job as a consultant or a lobbyist with these corporations. This is where I really hope an OUTSIDER like Trump is supposed to be will shake some shit up. If you want to get rid of regulations, let's get rid of lobbyists too.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

He already has proposed to get rid of lobbyists.

4. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Make no mistake, Trump is a financial boon for me. I just think long run, he is worse for the country. Cutting all spending on climate change initiatives? Come on man. The guys a birther, an anti-vaxer, I could go on and on.

I agree regulations hinder American business, but I don't think it's substantial when you factor in what can happen without regulations. Do you think there should be no financial institution regulations? Did you pay attention in 2008. A world without regulations is some sort of pipe dream. It's not reality. What other specific regulations are you talking about cutting?

5. mobius481

I think I just realized the point you were making. I couldn't understand how you got to regulations. You think that we will make up a $600 billion deficit by changing regulations? And actually more than that because we will increase spending?

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

This is the shit I find mind numbing. In states like Florida, and North Carolina, environmental officials are banned from using words like "climate change" and "sea level rise"

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.livescience.com/50085-states-outlaw-climate-change.html?client=safari

Republicans banning speech. Hmmm

7. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

There is no cut and dry answer. First infrastructure spending is a long term investment that pays off after years. We're still reaping the benefits of the interstate highway system. You can't build a much bigger economy on the roads, rails, ports and airways we have now. Our water sewerage andnother public utilities are as badly in need of investment. Transportation bottlenecks are costing millions and billions. Some requires private investment like utility (electric power lines, pipelines etc) and rail as well as some of the airway. Many railway bridges in the east are Civil war relics. Government needs the strength to tell the Not In My Back Yard crybabies to get over it and have the strength to hold to its decisions.
    Other investments are needed. We spend so little per capital on space development and power research that it's pitiful. Again the moon program launched many new industries that we have profited on....say computers and communication. Spend a few billion a year and make hard targets like Mars a moon colony or The like. Really invest in next generation propulsion concepts to get us away from the pitiful chemical rockets we use. Fusion power advanced fission power are the real pathways to combatting global warming AND bringing the potential for real growth in the 3rd world.
    All of these would grow the economy enough to recoup the investment if carried out with rigor.
    Redo the tax system. As noted there are $ trillions in overseas accounts that could be brought back to help pay if a deal on high corporate taxes could be made. Part of that requires creating a tax code that incentivizes investment in the US and job creation. We pay so much for corporate welfare that is wasted. While there are good reasons for some subsidies and such it's gotten out of hand.
    There needs to be a wringing out of government waste. It may be a small part but the idea that a 5% addition to a department's budget is a spending cut is ridiculous. The sacred cow of the defens ebudget needs scrubbing.
    Frankly budget and tax adjustments alone will not pay for the additional spending. Only a growing economy will. We have too many unemployed or underemployed today and because of that they are a drag on the economy. That will be very difficult and a long term issue. I noted a study that as much as 70% of jobs lost in the last few decades has been due to automation. How do we create whole new types of jobs and train people for them. Much will have to be done by the private sector. It's not something governments do well (except make war and bureaucrats).
    The government's job is to provide a skeleton that people can build a thriving economy. It doesn't build the economy (a fact too many liberals either don't understand or forget). This includes prudent and fair regulation @LaSalleAve you're right we need to watch over business so we have safe drugs, foods, clean air etc. as well as treat people fairly. There are too many regulations and too many are intrusive as well as destructive to growth.
    Without investment we are just trying to crave more pieces from the same pie. Not only that we will bankrupt the country in the near future paying for existing debt, our social security obligations as well as keeping the government doors open.

tirk and GiantDuckFan like this.
  8. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Birther lol HRC started that and tried to blame it on Trump. Get over that shit.

And a world with out regulations?

Dude there are over 25,000 US regulations. What is wrong with you people. SO talking about cutting some means all? and that I don't want any?

tirk likes this.
  9. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

it costs US business almost $2 trillion for the regulations we have on the books. It also costs the average family money.

Now for once, dont spin this shit into im asking for NO regulations, but we are among the highest in the world if not the highest.

Reducing this reduces the burden on us all and creates, let me repeat, CREATES SPENDING...

upload_2016-11-10_14-49-58.png

10. mobius481

You're right, Trump wasn't a birther. My mistake.

I didn't say you wanted to cut them all but you contend that cutting regulations will cut a massive budget deficit. I asked for some specifics and how it will save us money. Will you answer that?