Should Jarrett Lee be given a chance to start at Quarterback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TF Staff, Oct 11, 2009.

?

Should Jarrett Lee be given a chance to start at Quarterback?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Start or not, he should be given playing time.

103 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Agree. At the least I think the QB competition will be wide open next year

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've never been an advocate of playing only the starting quarterback. It's a team sport and every other position not only rotates players, but there is a healthy and fair competition for playing time. In a situation where several young quarterbacks have not separated themselves, perhaps they might benefit from some competition on the field. It would spread out some of the pressure, too, and not put it all on one set of young shoulders.

3. ccgw

ccgw luv'em Tigers

It seems like the talented WR's are underutilized when JJ is QB.

Exactly! The pressure from the expectations might be starting to get to JJ; instead of opening up , he's getting more and more overly cautious.

4. mudeh2o

mudeh2o Founding Member

It appears to me that many bloggers are dismissing some very important aspects about LSU's QB situation.

1. RP was scheduled to be a playing senior QB. Unfortunately he didn't develop his "off-the-field" behavior, received his dishonorable discharge from Tigerland, and left a gaping hole at the QB position.

2. Everyone knows about last year's performance/production at the QB position.

3. The Tigers' staff has (erroneously IMO) pinned their hopes on a 19-year old who should be charting plays on the sideline as a RS-freshman, observing other teams' defenses which lie in his future. His reticence in making decisions is epitomized in the option - ugh! Having grown upwithout the benefit of instant replay I can recognize an "ugly duckling" play-result without casting aspersions on the players involved.

4. Yes, like it or not, Jarrett Lee has served his penance (half a season) and should be given an opportunity to play Tiger football. At least he should hold his sack numbers down as well as the pick-sixers.

Then again, I'm not in CLM's salary zone of $4 million plus as Tiger HC :miles:. I'm just another alumni with 50+ years of following LSU football.

Soon come the other Tigers.

:geaux::crystal::crystal::crystal: :usaflagwa

5. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

plays are called in from the sideline, hugeeee issues there, O line doesnt communicate with the Qb at all. How can JJ develop leadership?

lee could very well do better this year, maybe he wouldnt throw INT's. but he would be pressured and he IS also very young, how would he react? I dont know, maybe put him in and see.

this is what I DO know.

1. You wont win the SEC ( goal ) by not getting the ball to your skill players and having the 10th offense in the SEC.
    2. You wont win the SEC if you cant dominate the LOS, agaisnt most of your opponents regardless of who your QB is.

would you say 1 and 2 are accurate? and if so does it matter if Lee or JJ plays? We've gotten by 5 games with JJ.... not bad for the issues we have.

We cant develop a running game....they stack the box on us cause they know what we are going to do, and they know our O line cant handle all the added pressure. Coaches refuse to call screen to help the line, it all compounds.

but sure give Lee a series or two I'd like to see if he can sling it.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

people seem to forget that our last national championship we ran 2 quarterbacks.

If i am defensive coordinator, and i have to scheme against LSU, i am loading the box, and forcing JJ to beat me.

7. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

This

Add in short drop zones and its game over. I think I would throw up a little to see Lee start, but I like surprises. I think we should do a 2 qb system from here on out. At least try against an Auburn team that wouldn't see it coming. Get em off guard, then see how Bama and Ole Miss react to it if it works. I'm all about trying it out.

But what do I know?

8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

And yes, I'm a huge lee advocator. But it still makes me nervous.

9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

You know, i have absolutely no love for Steve Spurrier, but one thing i liked about the ole ball coach, Steve wouldn't think twice about benching a guy if he was playing poorly in game. Didn't mean he lost his job, it just meant dude needed to sit and think about what he was doing wrong, and know that there are others on this team that would take his job if he continued to play poorly and not execute the offense.

One thing i will never understand about this coaching staff, is their willingness to try things that don't work over, and over, and over, and over again, like its practice. "we are going to get this right if it kills us." I do respect and like our head coach, and want him to stay put, please dont think i am saying i want him gone because of this criticism.

1 person likes this.
  10. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Without a doubt YES, at least get him in the game and lets see what he can do. I think he is by far the better quarterback. Sure the pick 6's were there last year but again, there were 10 other guys who could have tackled the man with the football that didn't. He owns most of the ints some were off wr's hands and what not but it is not his fault that no one tackled the guy before he got to the endzone.