Should Jarrett Lee be given a chance to start at Quarterback?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TF Staff, Oct 11, 2009.

?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
    33.0%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    17.7%
  3. Start or not, he should be given playing time.

103 vote(s)
    49.3%
  1. TF Staff

TF Staff Guest

This is one of the big questions on Tiger fans' minds. Some are scarred from the flurry of interceptions for touchdowns Jarrett threw last year. Some feel Lee was thrown into the fire and had too much pressure put on him because of a poor LSU defense. That LSU was playing from behind in many situations and Lee was put into obvious passing situations.

Regardless, consensus seems to be that there are big problems with the LSU offense. Some feel the offensive line is doing a poor job and not opening holes or giving the quarterback enough protection. Some feel that Jordan Jefferson doesn't have a good grasp of the position and is a poor passer, if he throws the ball at all.

Despite the interceptions from Lee last year, the LSU offense averaged almost 31 points a game last year, almost 34 points averaged through the first 6 scheduled games. So far this year LSU has averaged only 23 points a game.

What do you think? It's clear something needs to change if LSU is to compete in the heart of the SEC schedule. What that change should be is what is lighting up the forum these days.

2. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

Yes, seen enough of JJ for now.

3. lsufan_in_ohio

lsufan_in_ohio East Ascension High '76

4. JSracing

JSracing Founding Member

I see no huge reason to change, but if we have a margin of victory, I'd like to see him, better yet I'd like to see Shep more.

I think given the O line's in ability to give Scott a running chance.......then ANY QB is going to have some issues. Tebow might be able to do better but we dont have a Tebow.

A true pocket passer might get sacked for less yardage. but he might heave the ball up for INT's.

They could put him in for a series just to see. I honestly wouldnt think it would help though.
    Trouble is if Miles puts him in, he won't pull him if the ship starts to take on water. :shock:

5. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Not the start, but yes, give him some playing time and see how he does. Play him against Auburn.

Actually, I don't see the QB's practice. I'd say give playing time to whoever the coaches think the #2 QB really is. If Shepard knows enough offense to run the club, and his arm is up to the SEC, maybe he should get the snaps instead of Lee, but understand Lee will take that as a certain message and may set up a transfer for him.

If Lee knows the offense a lot better than Shep, he should, and he's got a much better arm (I suspect he does), and you think he has learned about seeing the field and not throwing too many ints, then give him some snaps and see what happens. I'm not opposed to some QB rotation. Lee is certainly not an option QB.

How is Garrett progressing? Does he know the offense? How's his arm compared to Lee or Shep? Should Garrett get the playing time?

I say give it to whoever is your real #2, the guy with the best chance to help you win out in the SEC and make it to Atlanta.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No. Our offense doesn't score enough to spot the other team 6 points.

7. RHans405

RHans405 Let's Roll

How about more Russel Sheppard.

8. Eliminator55

Eliminator55 May God Help Us.

Yes, Lee should definitely be given a chance. Surely his ability to make better decisions in his passing game has improved. LSU cannot run a successful offense with Jordan Jefferson as the quarterback. I think that Jordan Jefferson should be completely benched. Miles needs to let JJ know that an absence of offensive production results in an absence in playing time. Split the snaps at quarterback between Lee and Shepard, about 70% for Lee and the remaining snaps for Shepard. If Shepard performs, then slowly increase the number of snap he receives.

1 person likes this.
  9. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Welcome to TigerForums! Good first post.

10. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

NOPE!!

Need an offensive scheme change before a QB change would even matter!

A GREAT coach is suppose to fit the scheme to the player...not make the player fit the scheme!