Should conference divisions be eliminated?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Robidoux87, Dec 9, 2016.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

LSU Tulane, people guffaw about shit all the time but get over it real quick when it's changed.

2. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Wait. It's been what, 40 years since LSU has lost to Tulane? LSU's winning percentage has to be around .750 for this game.

Again, horrible example when trying to make an argument against your AU vs UGA's., UF vs UGA, UT vs UA, etc.

You're right on one thing here ... very little tradition or rivalry found in LSU vs Tulane. That happens when one team loses four or five games over a half of a century.

3. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

UGA and Auburn was the "lesser extent" I referred to. And LSU doesn't give a rat's ass about Florida, so it's not really a rivalry.

4. mctiger

Here's a solution, if u have to have Tenn on the schedule every year....have a conference schedule that's truly fair to everyone, and in years UT isn't on your conference rotation, schedule them as a non conference game

5. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Doesn't give a rats ass about Florida? Bullshit. I've seen too many bitch about the losses when that game has meant little sans a couple of years since '92.
    Or, buckle up and play nine conference games as suggested and then we'll talk.

This schedule being fair line is bullshit. Bama' s game with UT has had nothing to do with LSU not being in ATL.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Most LSU fans don't consider UF a rivalry and dislike that we have to play such a strong team every year. This is dumb IMO and I like the FU game.

Many LSU fans are annoyed that Bama seems to get whatever they want and the sec office just happens to be in Bama.

7. mctiger

LSU fans place no more importance on the Florida game than how it matters in the standings. The mere fact that its Florida matters....zero (with the exception of this year and the bs over the rescheduling). That is the essence of rivalry and there is none.

Obviously not, but the fact that some teams have to buckle up and face the opposite divisions best year after year while others get the worst is by definition unfair. I don't expect you to admit it, but the fact is a 14-team conference has hooked itself to a scheduling inequity to satisfy the whims of 4 teams - really, 2, because I don't believe for a minute the conference give a hoot about keeping Tennessee and Georgia happy.

Brian, furduknfish and LaSalleAve like this.
  8. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Go back to 2011 when Bama's only quality opponent was LSU, meanwhile LSU played and beat every BCS bowl winner except 1. West Virginia, Oregon, and Alabama, I think it was the Orange Bowl that didn't have an LSU victim in it.

furduknfish and lsu-i-like like this.
  9. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

I love that our cross division "rivals" are almost always pretty good yet the gumps just so happen to get the weak ass tenn. I just surprised they haven't been able to get a rivalry game year in year out with vandy yet.

10. mctiger

Tennessee has been very good at times during the era of the "rivalry" games, but again, that's not the point. Its all about equity. Forget LSU for a second...how is it fair that Bama has to (wink, wink) play Tennessee every year while Ole Miss gets Vanderbilt? I've pointed this out every time this discussion comes up; there's no way to make it fair on a year-in, year-out basis in a 14 team conference. All you can do is strive to make it equitable over time. And its not difficult to do: 8 game conference schedule. You play your 6 division rivals every year, and 2 non-division foes on a rotating basis, with one non division opponent coming off and another coming on each season. Luck of the draw still comes into play, since there are quite a few up-and-down programs in the conference. But bottom line is, after 6 seasons, each division will have played the same opponents over that time period.

fanatic, Rouxleaux, Brian and 4 others like this.