Shooting at Congressional Softball Practice

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUTiga, Jun 14, 2017.

1. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I've been at my current school for 20 years, and the demographics have dramatically shifted in those two decades. We went from 2% free/reduced lunch to over 44% now, so we are a Title I school, so I know exactly what you are talking about. It all starts out before they ever go to kindergarten. Children raised in poverty are rarely even spoken to (except for short commands), much less read to between the ages of 1 - 4. They simply cannot compete with peers who come from educated homes.

My younger daughter is dyslexic, and I knew this very early on because while my older daughter just "knew" her alphabet by sight at 3 and could read by 4, my younger child couldn't learn the alphabet at all. Ultimately, we had her tested at Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas when she was a first grader. It was hard to get her in, though, and we had to answer all kinds of invasive questions like education level of the parents, income level, travel, and other cultural experiences, and the list went on. They were ruling out that she couldn't read at 6 just because she came from a home that couldn't properly educate her.

I have students who are the parents of their younger siblings as soon as school is out, and you can bet that I have to reach them entirely at school because nothing will get done at home. However, there are motivated kids that grow a whole lot with a staff that believes in them.

Instead of just giving out government assistance, the parents (moms) need to be trained to be gainfully employed and trained to be mothers. At the same time, they should receive free, quality daycare and preschool to give their children a more level playing field.

Winston1 likes this.
  2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Similarly, I used to think potty training was a really tough parenting stage, but driving trumps that by 1000%. And like I mentioned, the senior high schools in Plano (there are 3 of them) are comprised of only juniors and seniors because, otherwise, there would be 6000, instead of 3000, students on each campus.

But they are run more like a junior college (in fact, my daughter is taking college credit US History next year on her campus). The students come and go at various times. Classes start as early as 7:15 and go as late as 4:15.

They can stay on campus for lunch or leave and eat at home or a restaurant (it's usually a restaurant.). My daughter will leave as part of her Education and Training block. There are other kids doing medical clinical rotations, and they leave to work at hospitals. My daughter's US History class will only meet three days a week. On the other days, she can come home around 3, unless she has drill team practice, usually the day before a football game in the fall; otherwise, she has to be at school every morning to practice with the drill team from 7 until 10 a.m. Her drill team class is 1st period, so it gives them a huge block of practice time.

So, now, while I am at work, I have to worry about her having gotten to school at 7 (I may follow her there; I don't know--it is on the way to my job.). Then, she's coming and going from school for her block class and possibly lunch. Yikes! And then she'll be driving home late at night from school after football games on Friday nights. At least, we're only about 10 minutes, max, from the school.

HalloweenRun and LSUTiga like this.
  3. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

4. Rex

Rex Founding Member

5. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Proof that close-mindedness gets you nothing. Even CNN praised his message.

6. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

COTiger likes this.
  7. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Wait til they starting going abroad on their own. My oldest is in Madrid right now...been there since Jan. She is heading to Uganda (by herself) tomorrow for 2 months. After that, she goes back to Madrid for a week, then Peru for 2 months. Home for 3 weeks, then China, Vietnam, India, Thailand, etc.

Oh, did I mention, her 19 year old sister just left Portugal and arrived in Venice today. She will go to Austria next.

It's absolutely terrifying being so far away and unable to rescue them at a moment's notice.

8. COTiger

COTiger 2010 Bowl Pick 'Em Champ

He'll consider that a compliment. IconLOL.gif

Winston1 likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Aren't there still headhunters and cannibals in Uganda? That's where I would have to draw the line. Get somebody to kidnap her and bring her back to America for deprogramming.

10. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

I can't afford a kidnapper...had to pay ACA.

Bengal B likes this.