Shingles

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BP, Oct 23, 2018.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I'm afraid I don't either but this Chalie Harper lifestyle is catching up to me like a speeding train.

Bengal B and lsu-i-like like this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

God has dictated that I follow a stricter diet; I believe related to thyroid disease. Lost lots of weight, probably healthier in general.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

I think it's pretty clear the overwhelming effect regardless number of calories. Less clearly helps because it usually means less sugar as well.

And the crux of the issue is this: We’re continually “fed” the idea that all that’s behind the rise in obesity is lack of exercise, or sedentariness. There have certainly been a lot of studies and popular articles suggesting that sitting is our downfall. Instead of effective messages about diet and health that science actually knows to be true, “members of the public are drowned by an unhelpful message about maintaining a ‘healthy weight’ through calorie counting,” the team writes, “and many still wrongly believe that obesity is entirely due to lack of exercise. This false perception is rooted in the Food Industry’s Public Relations machinery, which uses tactics chillingly similar to those of big tobacco.”

What we know to be true is much simpler: “Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger,” the write. “Fat calories induce fullness or satiation.” For every additional 150 calories in sugar (i.e., a can of soda) a person consumes per day, the risk for diabetes rises 11-fold, regardless of how much or little we exercise. The single most effective thing people can do for their weight, they write, is to restrict calories – and even more, restrict carbohydrates.

So if this is all true, and research seems to suggest it is, how will it change? It might take quite a lot of work to shift our psychology around food, especially since advertising is so saturated with the message that carbohydrates are good for us. The celebrity endorsements might need to be tweaked, the authors say, and certainly the way foods are advertised and, perhaps, created, need to be shifted. The public should be repeatedly hit with the message that whole, natural foods, where possible and affordable is the best way to go. If you’re trying to lose weight, reduce your calories (especially sugars) – don’t think exercise alone will cut it. And even if you’re normal weight, you can’t subside solely on junk and stay healthy.

The authors end with this powerful finale: “It is time to wind back the harms caused by the junk food industry’s Public Relations machinery. Let us bust the myth of physical inactivity and obesity. You cannot outrun a bad diet.”
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/aliceg...e-us-sugar-and-carbs-are-our-bodily-downfall/

4. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

tiga did that gonorrhea thing ever clear up?

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Don't mess around with shingles. My grandfather had them and he was miserable.

6. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

I got shingles but I keep them on my roof. I know I know shouldn't joke about that.
    073590401878.jpg

lsu-i-like and Winston1 like this.
  7. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Sure did- all three times.

GiantDuckFan and CalcoTiger like this.
  8. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Lately, we go late January for a couple of weeks during the International Snow Sculpting Championship. It's amazing artwork. Then maybe March, if i'm lucky. We use to go for Mardi Gras but that was years ago. Christmas a few times but you better hope the whole mountain's open.

Years ago we use to travel through Reno and i've skied most of Lake Tahoe, except Kirkwood. I wouldn't quite call it "Sierra Cement", but i prefer Colorado. Never skied Utah. Never skied Whistler Blackcomb but we intend to soon. Especially now that weed is legal. ;)

9. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Been to that sculpting contest it is amazing. Dont ski much in Jan although this year will get a couple of long weekends in Jan. Don't ski Cali for the reasons you mentioned plus it's unpredictable too little and too much sometimes. Utah is great especially Alta and Snowbird. Montana is good but can be bone chilling cold. If you are married or dating you might want to go to Sun Valley, Idaho. Great ski area great town with a nice retro feel to it. Vail, Aspen and Summit County is hard to beat and where I ski 90% of the time.

As far as the weed haven't noticed any difference at the ski resorts it's always been pretty much out in the open for as long as I remember.

Try finding a ski documentary called "Dog days of Winter" if you can. It's about the impact of freestyle hot dog skiing on the sport. Three of my ski buddies are in the movie. It is a very interesting documentary showing why skiing is what it is today.

Frogleg and lsu-i-like like this.
  10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

I know I’m getting old because I was interested in this thread and read it to completion.

I’ve heard some horrible stories about shingles...