Share One of Your Fishing Secrets/Tips

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LSUTiga, Mar 25, 2008.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Best fishing I ever experienced was canoeing in northern Ontario. Quetico Provincial Park is 6,000 square miles reserved for canoeists. No motorboats, no float planes, no roads. All access is paddle and portage. Some of these drinking-water lakes are eight days by canoe from civilization. The fish just don't see many lures and they'll bite anything. Huge walleye, lake trout, northern pike and muskellunge.

Catching a 10-pound northern pike on a collapsable backpacking rod and ultralight reel in a canoe is like trying to land a marlin on a charterboat. The best eating was the walleye and lake trout, though.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Tough to share my secrets.
    Down here, they bite on different tides depending on what bayou you're on.
    In Bayou Terrebonne, across the street from my house, the specs bite pretty good on live shrimp and an incoming tide for the 2-3 NIGHTS (key word, NIGHT) before a front comes through.
    Farther down, and in the lakes and bays behind my house, the specs don't seem to react to the tide as much. They move A LOT, and you just have to find them.

Reds on the other hand, are easy to find and catch. They usually will bite on a wide variety of plactics, live and dead bait. But the BEST time is in the dead of winter, with a hard falling tide. That's when you go in to the coves and dead-end canals and find the deep holes. The harder the tide is losing, the better.

3. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

thats how the flounder are here. you can just about sight fish flounder in the winter on a falling tide...if the wind is down, which can be rare at times.

4. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

the wind is usually a b!tch here in the winter too, but I got a nice honey hole of a dead end canal. It's facing the exact right way to block the north wind, and surround you with trees to really help keep all the elements off of you.

There's an other one almost as good to fish, but is the exact WRONG way.

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Catfish, in a bayou, bite better when the water is rising; whereas, in the river, it's better when the water is falling.

Never understood how what was good in one was different in the other but have found it to hold true.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Tiga, you smarter than you look.:wave:

Here's my secret...

You gotta geaux to neaux. All the talk of the high river and the diversions keeping everything muddy had me concerned...since I have a tourney next weekend. I decided to go check it out today. Was supposed to be a redfish prefishing trip, but with low tide at the crack of dawn, we had to wait for water enough to get into some ponds. With the lack of wind...(FINALLY!!!!)...we decided to head to Black Bay in search of trout until the tide came up. What the heck, with the gnats about to result in blood transfusions for both of us, might as well try the outside...even though it's March.

We found a bunch of trout, but most were 11 1/2 inchers. We managed 13 keepers, all on artificials, in about 2 hours of fishing. We caught over 40, but like I said, they all looked like this...

[​IMG]

In the midst of the baby trout run, THIS grabbed my lure...

[​IMG]

He was released after the photo to go make me some more redfish.

We left Black Bay, and I decided to head to an area I had never fished before...but knew it looked good on the map. Turned out to be a wise decision.:hihi: I had my former employer Steve with me, and he spent the better part of the 45 minutes we were there doing this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And he was catching some pretty nice tournament size reds, too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I spent most of the time netting his fish, and guiding us around the marsh by trolling motor. Finally, after he had stuck about 5 good fish...I told him we were leaving. He didn't understand, but I explained that I need these fish next Saturday, and he was putting a hurtin' on 'em. So we left and went to the area I initially wanted to check out...and found this...

[​IMG]

That one and another shorty came home with the 13 trout...everything else was released. The trout went in my belly about an hour ago, and the two shorty reds will do so Sunday afternoon.

Here's my son Joshua who just HAD to hold a fish...

[​IMG]

Which brings me to my NEXT fishing tip...take a kid fishing every chance you get.:thumb:

3 people like this.
  7. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I've been to Quetico myself...August '03. Absolutely the most incredible week I've spent anywhere, and it cost me about $600...hotels and gas on the way included. I would recommend this trip to anyone.

We hired an outfitter to rent the canoes from, and to take us to the put in on Monday...and retrieve us on Friday. The rest was up to us. "Us" was me, my brother, and my dad. We paddled 6 hours from the put in to our campsite...and stayed on that rock for 5 days and 4 nights. The smallmouth bass fishing was indescribable...and the pike were fun for a while. I found them to be exciting when they first hit, but they lacked endurance. After the initial excitement, they just give up. Walleye are probably in my top 3 best TASTING fish.

We didn't catch any musky, or lake trout for that matter. But we literally caught HUNDREDS of smallmouth. On the Wednesday we were there, my dad alone caught 82...that EVENING!! My brother and I had found that school the evening before, and wanted him to have a blast.

Cool thing about that trip is that we pretty much had to catch our food. We had the "conservationist" license, and were allowed to basically keep what we were going to consume while we were there. Needless to say, we didn't go hungry. I plan on returning with my boys when they get a little more age on them.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

I've been twice. Once for 2 weeks and another for almost 4 weeks. We kept moving, never staying in one campsite for more than a night, usually. Fish was our main food supply and it was plentiful. We stopped frying it and just grilled it with butter and Tony Chacheres.

9. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

That ain't saying much. :wave:

BEST tip I've read so far!

10. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Went fishing this a.m. at Chicot State Park. Kept 10 nice bream but on the way out there was an old couple- dude was sitting outside his camper- so I stopped and asked if they'd like some fish to fry and they got all fired up and said they'd love some to fry.

I'd never met them but come to find out, the guy knew my dad. They used to live in nearby Pine Prairie but have moved away and were just down camping.

Anyway, while fishing, I remembered something else. If you're using crickets and the head of the cricket comes off, put another one. Also, fresh crickets are better than water-logged ones.

Of course, sometimes on a hot bed, you can cast even pieces of crickets and still pull 'em out but on the slower days...

Fishhead and Nootch, I was going to take a picture so you two could laugh at me. I had some really nices ones but all 10 wouldn't have yielded the amount of meat that ONE of those nice reds y'all pull in furnishes.