Setting Snares

Discussion in 'Sportsman's Paradise' started by LSUTiga, Mar 9, 2013.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

My latest undertaking. Set 9 this afternoon. Would have to be pretty lucky to catch anything. I set most for coons but a couple of coyote sets. Will post picks if I luck up. Anyone here trap?

2. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dude, you are this board's Jed Clampett! You are one cool mofo.

I don't trap, but anybody who can catch something w/ a snare is a survivor in my book.

fanatic likes this.
  3. LSUTiga

lmao

This morning I went meet a guy I graduated HS with. He wanted me to show him where/how to catch turtles and possibly set hoop nets. We rode 4-wheelers through his land in the woods along a bayou. When we stopped I mentioned to him that should there be an apocalypse (sp?) the hoop nets would serve a good purpose in terms of putting food on the table.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Dude, there is no doubt about that. When the apocalypse comes, me and the girls and all my guns, fishing equipment and other survival equipment are heading your way!

5. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

With a little Ron Jeremy mixed in. :D:D:D:D

6. LSUTiga

Notta. I suck at this so far, apparently.

The guy I went meet yesterday showed me a crawfish lake, I guessing 30 acres, that had every trap knocked down. The traps have stakes integrated in them, too. He said he quit fishing it. I told him about these traps and he asked me if I could find him some. I got 5 from another friend (on loan) and will be bringing them to him tomorrow. Guy I got them from caught over 50 coons last year. Isn't a fur trapper, per se. Just doing it to rid land of nuissance.

He told me marshmellows and grape jelly were his two best baits. You put the bait inside and when the coon reaches in, it catches it's paw. I asked why not a piece of fish and he said it just makes the traps stink. lol

2nd picture is just one I found on the net to show TC so we don't have to play 50 questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I ran trap lines with trapper once back in the day when I lived out in the marshes of Barataria Bay east of Golden Meadow. At first I lived on a quarterbaoat with a WWII vintage Lister light plant....then later built a "Camp a piege". I lived out in the marsh for about seven years. I was a marsh man....not a marsh mallow !! :cool:

It was fun for me, but It's a tremendous amount of work skinning the hides and stretching them. I liked to make my own dried shrimp back then.

Tiga, we used the leg traps and caught mostly Otter and Nutria. I never caught a muskrat.

LSUTiga likes this.
  8. LSUTiga

That sounds like fun...for a while anyway. The part about living on a boat, that is. I wouldn't want to skin and stretch hides. All the guys I've ever know who trap, didn't skin. I imagine that's where the real money is though.

I went on a run in South Cameron back in college. I have a "one step" camera photo of it. We must've have 30 nutria. People eat nutria and though I couldn't bring myself too, it can't be worse than eating squirrels- I'll eat them on occassion. I've read that nutria is white meat though, I'nm not a white meat guy.

9. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

Nutria is good meat...you can do anything with it, but it's best braised so that it's real tender. Nutria chili is awesome...so is sauce piquante.

10. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I've heard it's good and I'm usually not opposed to trying new things, but Nutria is one thing I just can't bring myself to eat. I realize it's mostly psychological, but the thought alone is nauseating. I think it's mostly because they're basically giant rats and those yellow teeth (which I know you don't eat) are absolutely gnarly. No offense intended to those of you who eat it.