Serena

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm not saying that women are too weak to play 5 sets, just that they should. Serena could play best 9 of 17, no problem.

As you say, womens tennis is more popular than mens at this time. There aren't any Americans men at the top of the tennis world. Sooner or later there will be.

As far as golf goes mens golf is far more popular than womens. Compare the TV ratings for any major to the ratings for any womens major. If you were a corporate sponsor where would you spend your advertising dollars?

And women play on shorter courses and tee off closer than men.

2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

They have offered. Until the governing bodies of professional tennis make the change, there isn't much women can do. The point is, why limit their earnings based on sets played when they have no say in how many sets they are ALLOWED to play?

I won't argue the advertising dollars. Although I can guarantee if the women were to start playing in bikinis, advertising priorities would change, lol.

Shorter courses, closer tees.....still the same number of holes (no pun intended) and roughly the same amount of strokes. My point stands....we pay people to win, not to play shorter, longer, faster. One point to consider is the actuals....

-Women golfers make about 1/15th of what male golfers make. That’s based on earnings of a typical PGA golfer (male) and a typical LPGA golfer (female), plus endorsement pay. The median pro male golfer in 2015 earned $703,000. The median pro woman golfer made $105,000.
    -pay for male golfers has increased by 40% since 2005, from typical pay for full membership PGA golfers in 2005 of $500,000. Meanwhile, typical pay for LPGA golfers has remained the same.
    -Jordan Spieth earned the most official PGA dollars in 2015 with $12 million. Lydia Ko was the highest earning LPGA golfer the same year with $2.8 million. That puts her at 1/4 of Spieth’s earnings. That looks a lot better than 1/7th until we figure in endorsement pay. Ko earned about $750,000 in endorsement money in 2015. Meanwhile, Spieth earned an estimated $30 million from endorsements. A look at the top ten PGA and LPGA golfers in 2015 shows a similar story. The men earned between $15 million and $50 million in all money from on-course and off-course sources. The women earned from $1 million to $4 million.

So sure....men have a longer course, further tees, bigger ratings. But to a 1,500% extent? Not IMO.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Not 1500% longer but maybe 500% more popular. Especially to the biggest demographic, men who play golf and buy golf products.

Do you think WNBA players should earn as much as NBA players?

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

It's not really about what I think....I could easily argue both sides as I think both have some merit. I completely understand that for most sports, the population is more interested in watching men and men put more butts in seats, therefore they get more advertising dollars. But do I think the pay is representative of the gap in interest? Not by a long shot. You may not like or want to see it, but pay gap is a historically conceived concept. ALL areas of employment were once dominated by men, sans sweatshop sewing factories, and the entry of women in to the workforce was not met with sweeping acceptance....or pay.

I regularly argue that the pay gap women are bemoaning these days is grossly overstated and inaccurate for a number of reasons. But to deny gaps exist in places as a direct result of gender is disingenuous. And that's why I believe that the perception Serena has about being targeted has some merit. I'm not trying to be a libber or feminazi. I just know my own perspective and how I've been treated and compensated. I've had to fight a lot harder than male counterparts, some with lesser credentials and performance, to make the same amount. It is what it is and I was willing to fight for it.....but I shouldn't have had to.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

And women pay more for the same products....shampoo, deodorant, even sports gear. A typical woman's T-shirt with less material costs more than a men's XXL.

6. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

I pay $1.29 for a year, maybe two year, supply of shampoo,.. coconut, so I can shampoo the dogs too. Thought y'all'd like to know.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Sorry for your thinning hairline.

GiantDuckFan likes this.
  8. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

If only women could be paid more than men for how long their post are, there would be no debate. :D

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Minor technicality, but the racket smash was an automatic code violation that, because it came on top of an earlier warning, resulted in the automatic loss of one point. Had the chair ump merely given Serena a "soft" warning which is standard, she wouldn't have gotten the loss of point after the racket issue.

All that said.....it still could all have come out differently if Serena had limited her outburst and chosen to behave more professionally. All sides need to do better.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Lol. Funny. I do y'alls damn research too. I need to start a gofundme.

ParadiseiNC, KyleK and GiantDuckFan like this.