Serena

Discussion in 'OTHER SPORTS Forum' started by LaSalleAve, Sep 10, 2018.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

First off, Serena is awesome. Just an absolute monster on the court. I know probably many don’t like Tennis except maybe Vball I’m taking a shot because she seems to be the most well versed all around sports mind on this board, so apologies @uscvball if i got that wrong.

Her outburst. You can’t take coaching during at tennis match? And then the little Frenchman starts giving points away, essentially calls her a cheater? And he gets all butthurt over her yelling at him? This little Frenchman should be put in a corner to have John McEnroe yell at him for a few hours.

Sucks because the young lady who won seems like a great young player and very humble and now her first major is tarnished by this bullshit.

didit likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I used to like tennis but it's been years since any American men have been in the top 4 or 5 players. I like watching Federer but he is getty pretty close to retirement age.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I used to watch a lot more back in the day too.

4. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Many Tennis players have thrown epic temper tantrums in the past and Serena has had quite a few. She was getting her ass handed to her and lost it.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I wish golfers would throw tantrums like that.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Serena was getting outplayed and clearly that was part of her attitude. The players were informed prior to the match who the chair umpire was. He has a reputation for calling things tightly. Perhaps Serena could/should have been more mentally prepared for that environment on the court.

That said, being assessed a point due to coaching is ridiculous. It is in fact against the rules @LaSalle, and her coach admitted to it but everyone does it, literally everyone, and at most, she should have gotten a warning. This particular umpire has assessed another player for the same thing and that would be....Venus.

Serena then smashed her racket. It's another rule violation and she did get a warning but the men smash rackets all the damn time and most don't even get the warning. It was her outburst where she pointed her finger at the umpire and called him a liar and a thief that resulted in the full game penalty. At that point, the match was more than likely going in Osaka's direction. Personally, I don't find the words liar and thief to be "verbal abuse" but it's been my observation that men don't take it well or calmly when they believe they have been falsely accused of cheating and that was Serena's interpretation after having received the "coaching" penalty.

The biggest fail is the crowd. They absolutely ruined what should have been a great memory for a young player having won her first Grand Slam against her idol. To see Osaka continue to cover her face and not feel worthy to break a smile on the podium was sad, really. Kudos to Serena for putting questions aside and imploring the audience to stop booing.

Thing is, Serena has been speaking out for years, claiming she is the victim of discrimination, mostly racial. Saturday became an issue of gender discrimination. I don't know if the chair umpire would have called it differently if it had been the men's final because he does have a reputation but one could certainly argue that the perception is there particularly when you consider the fine she was given by the USTA.....$17k for the 3 violations. The men do far worse, and get assessed far less.

didit likes this.
  7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

So tennis is like NASCAR. If you ain't cheatin' you ain't racin'.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Bengal B likes this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I wouldn't say that but I know very little about NASCAR. The "coaching" issue is dumb and tennis needs to amend that rule. On replay, Serena isn't even looking in her coach's direction at the time he was called for the violation. Assessing her a point for it, is essentially saying SHE is the one who cheated. It's a rule....but I get her frustration.

10. Frogleg

Frogleg Registered Best

Correction, she was warned about coaching and then lost a point after she smashed her racket and started arguing with Ramos. And then lost a game after calling him a thief and a liar. John McEnroe was penalized a whole match for something similar.

mctiger likes this.