Selective racial outrage

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by uscvball, Nov 14, 2018.

1. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Lots of examples and this one is mild really but it is becoming tiresome.

Jennifer Lawrence does a Dior ad for a clothing line including elaborate dresses and ornately embroidered handbags created to resemble the style of escaramuza horseback riders but with a "modern" edge. Escaramuza is a female equestrian team in the traditional Mexican rodeo known as charrería. They took the pictures in California.
    [​IMG]

Some people weren't too happy about it....

"Phoebe Robinson, co-star of the popular podcast "2 Dope Queens," shared Lawrence's ad to Instagram on Tuesday calling it "ignorant and gross."

Robinson — whose podcast features female comedians, comedians of color and LGBT comedians — slammed Dior and Lawrence for trying to celebrate Mexican riders "by having a rich white woman named Jennifer be the face of this campaign."

Here's what the post said:

Lol. Wut?! Sooooooooo, #Dior & #JenniferLawrencewanna celebrate traditional Mexican women riders thru a “modern lens”...by having a rich white woman named Jennifer be the face of this campaign? And like they couldn’t think of a better landscape to shoot than in California?! Hmm, I dunno, maybe...like...shoot...in...Mexico...with...a...Mexican...actress like Salma Hayek, Karla Souza, Jessica Alba, Selena Gomez, Eva Longoria, or many others. But I guess they were all unavailable, so you had to go with Jennifer Lawrence."

If I'm catching Phoebe's point here it's that the ad should feature latinas modeling in Mexico and took her crap out on Jennifer Lawrence. But then I came across this...
    [​IMG]

I guess we should have been calling her Michellina? Can't wait for Phoebe to take on her idol.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Many fashions are designed in Italy and France. Should they only use French or Italian models and be forced to do their photo shoots in those countries? Is it OK for an American woman to wear a Brazilian thong?

KevinWS likes this.
  4. kcal

kcal Founding Member

mostly

Frogleg, GiantDuckFan and Bengal B like this.
  5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The whole thing is stupid. Lawrence is the face of Dior and has been repping their label for 6 years. Dior did take pictures of latina models in that clothing line but of course Lawrence is getting the attention because she's, well....Jennifer Lawrence.

It's funny she suggests taking pictures in Mexico rather than CA. From a landscape point of view, they look nearly identical and clearly a lot of Mexicans are living in CA so what is the point?

I don't have a strong opinion on the thong issue but my bet is that while an American woman is okay to wear them, Brazilian women wear them....better.

6. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

Wow I didn't realize Michelle Obama is Mexican. Did they shoot her picture in mexico . Give em hell vball. The old double standard. I would love to see the complaining woman when they show her Michelle's picture. Then it would be ok im sure.

HalloweenRun and watson1880 like this.
  7. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

I'm OK with it.:D

GiantDuckFan and LSUpride123 like this.
  8. TigerTap

TigerTap Founding Member

Did you realize Michael Obama is a man? Got shoulders our best DBs would be proud of.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    Bengal B likes this.
  9. CalcoTiger

CalcoTiger Live Long and Prosper IVI

does the bush family provide him candy too ? LOL

10. Kikicaca

Kikicaca Meaux

Is it OK for American men to wear thongs?
    ReadyMeaslyGoitered-max-1mb.gif

Frogleg likes this.