Secondary...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Oct 19, 2015.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Surprising to see them struggle this year. Understand that having your leader Jalen Mills on the sideline is going to cause a fall off, but it seems like these guys aren't getting their heads around and blowing coverages. Lots of people say scheme is an issue but it looks to me like the calls are right, the guys just aren't executing.

I think it's time to give John Battle a shot over Rickey Jefferson and once Mills returns to full duty he should actually be the other safety and until nickel when he can move to the nickel back and then bring in Thomas in the dime. Thomas has been bad in coverage but he is a really good tackler and is disruptive when he is sent to get the QB and in run stopping.

In my opinion the secondary should be:

4-3

Safeties - Adams and Mills
    corners - KT2 and White

Nickel

Safeties - Adams and Battle
    Corners - KT2 and White
    Nickel - Mills

Dime

Safeties - Adams and Battle
    Corners - KT2 and White
    Dimes - Mills and Thomas

I'll turn it over to the board to discuss.

2. northernvatiger

northernvatiger Founding Member

Can most of this unit's woes be due to the fact that Mills has been out?

3. LaSalleAve

Being that he is the captain, and a senior leader, I think that has a lot to do with it. Jefferson just looks lost out there to me. I hope that getting Mills back full time will correct most of it, but I'd still like to see what John Battle can do because every time he has been in the game he is around the football.

4. TigerSnarl

TigerSnarl Air Conditioned Gypsy

I think several members of our secondary looked lost at times on Saturday night. Obviously, they got the stops they needed but we have much room to improve.

I generally try not to be too critical of specific Tigers but I am most disappointed in White. He seemed to be out of position a lot and those WR's were owning him on blocks. The shame was that I did not see him fighting through them. I am a huge fan and so I am hoping he turns it around.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

This week we are facing one of the best quarterbacks in the country. If we can't get a steady pass rush, he may victimize our linebackers and defensive backs. Last year, sixth-year senior Brandon Doughty led the FBS in passing yards (4,830), passing touchdowns (49), and points responsible for per game (24.2). This year he is on the 2015 Maxwell Award Watch List, 2015 Davey O'Brien Award Watch List, 2015 Walter Camp Award Watch List, and the 2015 Manning Award Watch List.

Western Kentucky is a classic trap game. We should beat these guys, but they are 6-1 and no rollover cupcakes. This QB may be dangerous and LSU gives up too many big plays.

Winston1 and LaSalleAve like this.
  6. LaSalleAve

Lots of chatter after the game by reporters talking to Les about WKU, I expect them to know full well this has trap game written all over it, hope the fans realize this too. This will be the best QB LSU faces all year including Dak and the Allen kid from
    A&M.

7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I also think it's time to stop comparing Tolliver to PP7.

8. LaSalleAve

I never saw the comparison other than the position and the hype. Different players, different build. Peterson didn't start until late in his Freshman year, Toliver played the first snap of his Freshman year.

Remember when the dig on Miles was that he didn't play Freshmen? I like how he has adapted.

P&G_wheelz007 likes this.
  9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I saw him after one play holding his balls like he had been kicked or something. He was going to stay in the game but when they were lining up he looked confused and couldn't figure out where to line up and they called a time out.
    He was back in the game later so I don't know whether he is injured or not. I have read or heard anybody else talking about it.

10. Tiger Exile

Tiger Exile Long time lurker

I saw that on the replay too. He was definitely hurting.

P&G_wheelz007 likes this.