SEC Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Nov 10, 2019.

1. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

I guess we’ve become more of an offensive conference? hehe

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Well I don't know of anyone who can really play great defense consistently anymore.

The targeting rule change has definitely had the biggest impact of safeties roaming the field looking to take a receivers head off.

The great LSU safeties of the fairly recent past would no longer be a factor in today's game. Or at least greatly diminished.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Just not true. Should be shoulder tackling and wrapping up anyway, not head hunting. That technique should help, not hurt, defensive stats.

shane0911 likes this.
  4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

WR's used to fear crossing the middle. Now they let their nuts hang out.

islstl, CajunlostinCali and didit like this.
  5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Oh I agree but I'm saying their style of play would not survive college football any longer and it's a part of what they made them high NFL draft choices.

Remember high profile safety Craig Loston? He became totally useless after the rule changes.

6. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

7. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Too bad that 90% or more of these are penalties today. I remember how pissed I was when they threw the flag on the Chad Jones hit against Ark but looking back (and since we won the game) it was probably a good call.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

I think offensive football has progressed a lot recently, plus the rule changes are a big reason. That said, LSU just does not have the talent on defense that they once did. The DL can't get much pressure on their own. While we have some high star kids out there, they just aren't as good as the past. Also, we have two excellent cover CB's, but our nickle back and S's aren't as good in coverage as in the past either. Although, I really liked when Flott was in on the slot and Vincent playing S. When Bama was moving the ball better Vincent was in more on coverage.

9. tzanghi

tzanghi Founding Member

We played one half of unbelievable defense. It’s not totally out, but clearly the offensive schemes are out running the defensive schemes at this point.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Guys like Ronnie Lott and Laron Landry would have been ejected every game. Look at how LSU exploits the middle of the field with the pass, You used to not be able to do that.

tzanghi and didit like this.