Scenario

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Mar 23, 2014.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Your child comes home from school and starts to tell you that his/her teacher is teaching creationism. How would you react?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It's an excellent opportunity to teach the kid what mythology is.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Hey nice idea, I knew I could count on you.

I have a bad feeling this is coming soon though for me. Louisiana is one of the few states that allows teachers to introduce creationism into the classroom.

4. red55

The good thing is that damn few Science teachers have touched it. The dumb-ass legislators did not count on that. Creationism belongs in Social Studies along with Greek, Roman, Norse and the rest of Hebrew mythology.

Winston1 likes this.
  5. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

I would complain to the principal as well. Red is right creationism is a subject for history and has no place in a science class.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

The same way I react to anything my children learn in public school. Have a conversation about it, give them more thorough information than they get at school, encourage them to ask questions of the teacher. This topic is no more different than other things they are taught, in terms of what you might agree or disagree with. You should be more concerned about what they don't mention.

Earlier this year my daughter had a section on Islam. You should have heard what bullshit they were taught. She walked away from one lesson with the idea that it was all the Jew's fault. The teacher flat out lied about some things in the Koran. Meh, it's all good. It was another opportunity to discuss and a reminder for me to stay plugged in.

gyver and LSUDad like this.
  7. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.

Your right Uscvball. It's a great opportunity to have discussions with your kids as well as stay informed with what they teach.
    I would rather creationism be discussed with my kids than some of the other stuff they push on them in public school.
    What if the school taught intelligent design (aliens)?
    What if your son and daughter had "alternative life style" pushed on them or a pro-abortion agenda?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  8. red55

The problem is teaching creation myths as Science. Teaching it in Social Studies is no problem. Same with the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, and Santa Claus.

How are schools pushing these things? Seriously. It's hard to for me imagine a High School in this century where gays and family reproductive issues are not mentioned. But are they being "pushed"?

9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Given the most recent announcement that the detection of space ripples (my layman's term) proves that the big bang is a scientific fact, I would say that the religious right's claim to any authority as it pertains to watch is taught in a science classroom is at best suspect. They will say that this doesn't necessarily prove evolution but in my mind it is the next best thing and should validate the fact that religion should be taught in religious studies, whether at school or church, and science should be taught in science classes.

I have nothing against one's individual right to bury one's head in the sand but it shouldn't be a part of the school curriculum. It is also not a violation of anyone's religious rights to teach the best scientific information that we have. How else do we expect the next generations to build upon our work?

Winston1 likes this.
  10. gyver

gyver Rely on yourself not on others.